PDA

View Full Version : Let's help this guy folks !!!

Paul Ouellette
20-12-07, 03:52 AM
Group :

Here's a piper in "great need" of our guidance !!!

I hope my own comments were not too harsh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2O0fK_DOIw&sdig=1

Does anyone know who this fellow is ??

Potential for sure, but he must be watching too many Celtic rock vids !!

Reid
20-12-07, 06:09 AM
"OK, first of all...stop jumping around like you've gotta take a p*ss..."

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Robbie.Crow
20-12-07, 07:40 AM
did he actually ask for help? or are you just giving him it?

KAILY
20-12-07, 08:14 AM
The lad certainly has rythm in his soul, which is a good thing, he also has ability, but maybe just a "wee bit out of control at times"

Kaily

janelleTG
20-12-07, 08:33 AM
Group :

Here's a piper in "great need" of our guidance !!!

I hope my own comments were not too harsh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2O0fK_DOIw&sdig=1

Does anyone know who this fellow is ??

Potential for sure, but he must be watching too many Celtic rock vids !!

Harsh...nah, cause not.:whistle: Maybe if you'd given the positives before you went for the jugular.:biglaugh:

I'm not in a position to comment on his playing, I will say however that he has passion.

AlistairFyfe
20-12-07, 10:12 AM
From the extract below it seems that the guy plays his pipes in a 'group' rather than the formal band or competition setting that most of us come from. So in my opinion not bad just different.

“Doing something like this in New Bedford is a real treat,” he said. Mr. Silva, who lives in the city and grew up in Taunton, plays with the Boston Kiltics, a Cape Breton-style group that includes a fiddler, guitarist and two stepdancers.

Extracted from http://www.bagpipenews.com/?N=D&paged=3

Paul Ouellette
20-12-07, 03:31 PM
Hi janelleTG :

Well...I'm not usually a "ready, fire, aim"...sort of fellow, however, after I posted in the YouTube comments section, I thought I'd also bring this vid to the attention of the group, as I suspect that not only the chap in the video (but others too) can fal victim to the temptation of turning a GHP into something a'kin to an air guitar

What struck me as different (sad really) about that chap is that if he'd only stop doing the "can't find the urinal arobics" & slow down the tempo a bit...with a bit of coaching...I'll bet he could be a great asset in just about any upper level band he may decide to join.

I recall some years back, Bill Livingstone telling a few of us about a judge in Scotland that kept a little book for his own reference as he would adjudicate for grade 4, & as there were often so many entries, it was helpful for him to refer back to his past comments...which were for his eyes only...& many people knew he kept the book for this purpose.

Apparently, on one occasion a heavy rain broke out & everyone at the games quickly ran for cover. A chap who had a wee son competing at the time, found the book as the judge had dropped it as he had run to get out of the downpour.

The fellow could simply not resist looking in the book to see what the judge had written as "private comments" regarding his son.

Apparently, the notes under his son's name read (something like...) "Stop...Just Stop...Please Stop...In the name of God Please Stop"

Like the fellow in the video...the differnce between playing badly & playing like Gord Duncan is "lessons" with experienced teachers.

If we don't say something...perhaps nobody else will either.

Is it any wonder given a situation where "them that know, stay silent" that the bagpipe is as poorly played by the majority of people that attempt it ?

When the public hears a "poorly played piano"...they can recognize it as such...but when they hear a poorly played bagpipe...they just figure, "well, that's just what they sound like" !!

The only difference is that good piano playing (through reasonable teaching) has become widespread.

Should we not strive to do the same ??

PowerBoozer007
20-12-07, 05:56 PM
I notice he's playing at a band setup, that answers a lot of questions!

No he's not playing tradition Scottish style, but that doesn't make it wrong either! He's young and will develop over time,coudl be the next Eric Rigler.

This guy really impresses me, not for his technique but his ambition:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3n9hbYwZZqk&NR=1

boltonbagpiper
20-12-07, 09:24 PM
is it "clumsy lover" that guys playing? and has anyone got any dots for it???

Robbie.Crow
20-12-07, 10:46 PM
can i just ask again, has this guy asked for comments? or have people just barged right in and gave them to him?

Bobby
20-12-07, 11:33 PM
takes guts to post video of yourself playing for all the world to see and pick at.

blowpipes too long ---his chanter is pointing directly into his crotch.

I couldn't tell if the video was out of sync with the sound or if he's marching out of sync with his playing. A good effort, but his reel was a train wreck.

Bobby
21-12-07, 01:02 AM
I think it's part of the "youtube culture" that anyone can comment on video's.

Corkpiper
21-12-07, 04:22 AM
Of all the YouTube pipers out there... why pick on this guy? Makes me wonder.

janelleTG
21-12-07, 05:46 AM
can i just ask again, has this guy asked for comments? or have people just barged right in and gave them to him?

Anyone who has allowed themselves to be placed on Youtube, is open to comment Robbie. We just all need to be careful about how we express our opinions. I don't really believe Paul was offensive. Just to the point.

Hi janelleTG :

Well...I'm not usually a "ready, fire, aim"...sort of fellow, however, after I posted in the YouTube comments section, I thought I'd also bring this vid to the attention of the group, as I suspect that not only the chap in the video (but others too) can fal victim to the temptation of turning a GHP into something a'kin to an air guitar ..............................................

Paul, in truth I found the way you said it really amusing. And if you were in an Aussie pub, no-one would have found it out of place, however..........

& slow down the tempo a bit...with a bit of coaching...I'll bet he could be a great asset in just about any upper level band he may decide to join.

I'm just saying if you had started your comments off with the above, then told him what you believed needed correcting, he may be more inclined to listen to you. Having said that, you weren't nasty to him and we've all seen a lot meaner comments made on you tube.

I recall some years back,......................
The fellow could simply not resist looking in the book to see what the judge had written as "private comments" regarding his son.

Apparently, the notes under his son's name read (something like...) "Stop...Just Stop...Please Stop...In the name of God Please Stop"

:rotf: :rotf: This father deserved to hear some harsh words. If you read someones private notes, you deserve whatever you get and more.

Like the fellow in the video...the differnce between playing badly & playing like Gord Duncan is "lessons" with experienced teachers.

If we don't say something...perhaps nobody else will either.

I'm learning the PC, without a personal tutor, :biglaugh: Remind me not to let anyone video me and put it on youtube, I'm not sure my tender little ego can take it. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Should we not strive to do the same ?? Yes.

Robbie.Crow
21-12-07, 09:50 AM
Of all the YouTube pipers out there... why pick on this guy? Makes me wonder.
exactly my point. Maybe he wasnt up there to be critisized, maybe he wasnt up there for everyone to watch, maybe it was a demonstration for something, and he forgot to take it down? all im saying is, if your going to post something, try not to be offensive when you dont know who the guy is, what he's like, or even why he's put a video up there.

AlistairFyfe
21-12-07, 10:03 AM
is it "clumsy lover" that guys playing? and has anyone got any dots for it???

Here are some dots for Clumsy Lover. (not sure that was what he played)

Ps. Can't vouch for accuracy as not really familiar with the tune and have not checked the files out!

Jig added in subsequent post.

Robbie.Crow
21-12-07, 10:03 AM
cheers alistair

AlistairFyfe
21-12-07, 10:09 AM
Just realised I attached the Hornpipe whereas I think it was the reel that was required!!

Or am I just confused!

Here it is in jig format. Still no reel! Is there a reel?

Robbie.Crow
21-12-07, 10:38 AM
i didnt even iknow there was a jig 8-)

Reid
21-12-07, 02:46 PM
Just realised I attached the Hornpipe whereas I think it was the reel that was required!!

Or am I just confused!

Here it is in jig format. Still no reel! Is there a reel?

Only h/p and jig settings.

PowerBoozer007
21-12-07, 05:42 PM
The internet really still is a very primitive form of communication, so you have to be really careful how you word things! NOT! :bg:

What can be said in gest or with the best intentions will be interpreted 100 different ways depending a lot on the mood of the reader at the time.

I assume the performance was posted with the permission of the performer, so it's obvious he's trying to reach an audience. Perhaps he will learn from some of the comments, but not all of us are thick skinned that we can handle our critics.

I say to hell with them all if they can't take a joke! :party:

Itchyknee
21-12-07, 08:14 PM
did he actually ask for help? or are you just giving him it?

Exactly! Did he ask for help?

Seamus
31-12-07, 12:22 AM
In his defense...... maybe he was drunk. :were: