PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Band Member.

nearlydoc
20-12-07, 10:17 PM
I do not know whether this has been done ----

I was wondering who and where in the world is the oldest PIPER and DRUMMER still actually playing with a band

If posting please consider privacy of this person and not name them unless you have asked them - But age and name of band is OK.

Neville

PowerBoozer007
20-12-07, 10:33 PM
Great topic, I think we all wonder how long we can play for!

In 99, PM Chris Anderson of the gr1 City of Toronto pipe band played with us in the Niagara Police band at the age of 72.

He had no problems playing the music either!

Think Bill Livingstone is now 63!

Scarlet O'Hair
20-12-07, 10:33 PM
SDPD has a member who is 84. Was a pm for close to 50 years in another band.

John, I think you are right about Bill. Looks pretty darn good!

Bobby
20-12-07, 10:39 PM
We`ve got a couple players in there late 70`s.

Paul Ouellette
21-12-07, 12:43 AM
This is going back some time...but I can recall Bill's father (old Bill, as we called him) playing with the GM band led by George Campbell along side Bill jr, Bob Worrall & John MacKenzie.

I remember it being said that he was in his late 70's before he put the pipes away for the last time.

Scarlet O'Hair
21-12-07, 12:54 AM
Slightly hijacking this thread.....

Bill Sr was one of the earlier PMs in the SDPD band, just before WW2.

I always thought it was kewl when I was PM there to be able to say that! (just so there's no confusion, he was PM before I was......:bg:)

Kiltswinger
21-12-07, 01:30 AM
One of our pipers is 87, another is 85, and we have a couple of tenor drummers that are right up there along with them!

Our 87 year old learned from Willie Ross in Edinburgh during WWII

I seriously lust after his pipes!

jjpiper
21-12-07, 01:48 AM
SDPD has a member who is 84. Was a pm for close to 50 years in another band.

John, I think you are right about Bill. Looks pretty darn good!

I think he is 75 or 76 now Scarlet.

Scarlet O'Hair
21-12-07, 02:09 AM
I think he is 75 or 76 now Scarlet.

Who?!

macpiper
21-12-07, 02:27 AM
I know he started playing about 1922 at Queen's University.

Scarlet O'Hair
21-12-07, 02:29 AM
If we are still talking SDPD oldest piper, he's defo 84, maybe 85.

SancheA
21-12-07, 04:29 AM
Indeed...He was like 82 a couple of years ago and still going strong....Someone told me he was in the Royal Canadian Navy in WWII....?do you know if it's true Scarlet?

jjpiper
21-12-07, 04:30 AM
I thought he said he turned 85 last year but I could be wrong.

SancheA
21-12-07, 04:32 AM
When I played with the Massed band out of Barrie, we had a sister band, based out of Orillia..That band has some pretty old members..one drummer must have shot at 85, and this was about 5 years ago...In the band I played with, our drum major must have been up there, he was a Vet....

Robbie.Crow
21-12-07, 10:04 AM
i think our oldest one is in his mid 70s

phyx
21-12-07, 11:04 AM
Our oldest member turned 86 a week ago. The day before his birthday he said he was turning 86 the next day and it stuck with me.

I asked when he started piping, he said when he was in university in Kingston, Ontario, back in 1940.

Anthony, I'm pretty sure he served in the armed forces, but I don't know which branch. I seem to remember him telling some military stories once.

The guy is a wealth of knowledge, and a genuinely great guy. I love talking with him. He's got a great sense of humor and loves to talk about history. He also is very encouraging when it comes to piping and he'll point out all the things you're doing well and let you know--not just give you advice on what needs fixing.

I hope I make it to 86 and I'm the same good shape he's in. That guy is amazing to me...I hope he's around for many more years to come.