PDA

View Full Version : Irn Bru Advert

Scarlet O'Hair
22-12-07, 07:17 AM
Don't know if anyone is familiar with the animated children's classic "the snowman" by Raymond Briggs, but this is a slightly different take.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfiqrkV_ZqI

You can actually watch the original by clicking the link on the page. Highland dancing and everything!!!

One of my favorites!

Robbie.Crow
22-12-07, 03:49 PM
yeah, i just watched it there just now. You can actually see where i live in it... welll drawing wise..

Scarlet O'Hair
22-12-07, 04:06 PM
He didn't fall into your yard did he?:bg:

PowerBoozer007
22-12-07, 05:30 PM
yeah, i just watched it there just now. You can actually see where i live in it... welll drawing wise..

We sometimes have to remind ourselves that Robbie is not a cartoon character! :PartyRobbie:

Robbie.Crow
22-12-07, 05:33 PM
He didn't fall into your yard did he?:bg:
Nope, thats Georges' Square, Glasgow!

SancheA
23-12-07, 02:45 AM
Is it Beer, or some sort of soda?

Scarlet O'Hair
23-12-07, 02:48 AM
For lack of a better description,it's like the yummiest orange soda EVER!! I think you'd LOVE it.

jjpiper
23-12-07, 03:02 AM
Thanks Scarlett. One of my all time Christmas favourites. (Quite funny, the Irn Bru version.) I watched the original again and it brought me back. I was 7 or 8 and had orange hair just like the little boy when I first saw it. I was sure it was me. Can't tell you how many times I made a snowman and hoped he would come to life. Brings a tear to my eye. Merry Christmas.

Scarlet O'Hair
23-12-07, 03:13 AM
Charlie Brown's Christmas does the same for me...

macpiper
23-12-07, 03:46 AM
I love watching the old Christmas ones. Kid has no interest in them and sees them as silly...children these days. I made him watch the Smurfs one with me a couple days ago. He was bored to tears.

macpiper
23-12-07, 03:49 AM
Is it Beer, or some sort of soda?

Get yerself to the Superstore on Lasalle or the A&P on Regent and buy yourself a bottle...

Scarlet O'Hair
23-12-07, 04:04 AM
Ummmm...the Smurfs did one???

jjpiper
23-12-07, 04:50 AM
Don't go shopping! I went today for one item. Every cash had 30 people standing in line. I'm not exaggerating. I counted just before I turned around and walked back out. Might be worth it for Urn Bru. I didn't know they had it.

Scarlet O'Hair
23-12-07, 05:13 AM
I'll go for some tomorrow if you'll come with me??? Seriously...I'll bring a flask....lemme know ...I have to go..just for fresh stuff,,, there's no getting around it....I get that it will be bad..........alot

jjpiper
23-12-07, 05:31 AM
I am making a grocery list and will go tommorrow too. Expecting a long line.

blythe
23-12-07, 06:34 AM
I think I need an Irn Bru now....hmmm... haha

definitely one of the best commercials ever....oh advertising...playing on the memories of the old! lol :whistle:

Robbie.Crow
23-12-07, 01:57 PM
For lack of a better description,it's like the yummiest orange soda EVER!! I think you'd LOVE it.
Orange in Color, not in taste!

Scarlet O'Hair
23-12-07, 03:58 PM
I think I need an Irn Bru now....hmmm... haha

definitely one of the best commercials ever....oh advertising...playing on the memories of the old! lol :whistle:

Thought you'd sneak that in there eh??? :tap: :bg:

Don Robertson
23-12-07, 07:15 PM
Orange in Color, not in taste!
That's the oddest tasteing drink I have ever had. No wait...there was that drink I was served at a bar in..................

blythe
23-12-07, 07:42 PM
Thought you'd sneak that in there eh??? :tap: :bg:

:whistle: :battingeyes:

jjpiper
23-12-07, 10:13 PM
Went to the store to buy some Irn Bru. They only had diet and 10 bottles left. I bought 6 and left 4 for Scarlett. It was my kids first time trying it. Only one of three liked it. I'll finish there share.

blythe
23-12-07, 11:03 PM
I used to hate it when I was younger.... but now it's not so bad

DM Bill
23-12-07, 11:34 PM
I just bought six yesterday with Steak Pies.
It was the first soft drink I had after my surgery, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I don't know what is in it that caused that, maybe just a sugar rush, but it was odd.
Would you describe it as kind of a cross between creme soda and orange?
Carrie, that commercial was amazing. Brought back memories of the trip my father and I took to Scotland a few years ago. it was great to be able to name the places in the ad, and know I'd seen them.
I missed Nessie the day we were there though.... ach weel, next time mebbe!

Scarlet O'Hair
23-12-07, 11:38 PM
Ok.....so seriously....jj? Catherine? Stew?? Who the HELL bought all the regular IrnBru and left me with the DIET crap???????

Like, it's good and stuff....but not quite the same.......:snowman:

CanuckinGA
24-12-07, 12:56 AM
Ok.....so seriously....jj? Catherine? Stew?? Who the HELL bought all the regular IrnBru and left me with the DIET crap???????

Its a conspiracy. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean poeple aren't out to get you!

Scarlet O'Hair
24-12-07, 01:13 AM
All's I'm sayin' is..............

jjpiper
24-12-07, 02:34 AM
When I got there all that was left was diet. Bought 6 and left 4 for you. I was going to leave a note but didn't have any paper.

Robbie.Crow
24-12-07, 02:35 AM
lmao that would have been funny

Scarlet O'Hair
24-12-07, 02:38 AM
lmao that would have been funny

No doubt!

When I got there all that was left was diet. Bought 6 and left 4 for you. I was going to leave a note but didn't have any paper.

Thanks! And I did get 4!

jjpiper
24-12-07, 02:51 AM
I knew it. I should have left that note.

Scarlet O'Hair
06-01-08, 04:44 PM
The holiday season is almost at an end, and the grocer's shelves are re stocked. I picked up a few bottles of original Irn Bru. Big difference in taste between original and diet!

Went to the "outlaws" for dinner last night. While sitting around the table I remembered I had planned to bring some over for "poppy" to taste. As I'm mentioning this, Mr Scarlet says "there's some in the fridge downstairs"

I said "I doubt it" and he said, "seriously, I was just down for a beer". Low and behold there are a few bottles in the bar fridge. No one seems to know quite how they got there or how long they've been there.......a mystery for sure....no expiry date, and quite yummy!

mlf
06-01-08, 06:44 PM
I just bought six yesterday with Steak Pies.

That's a fair swap. :bg:
For all those that don't know Irn Bru is made from girders.

Scarlet O'Hair
06-01-08, 08:02 PM
What are girders? Like the metal supports in a building?

mlf
06-01-08, 09:19 PM
What are girders? Like the metal supports in a building?

Yeah. I remember years back the advert for Irn Bru and the punch line was "Irn Bru, made from girders".

KatieMc
06-01-08, 09:24 PM
Andy, I was intrigued by your comments, so I googled. Borrowed from Wikipedia.... "Irn-Bru's advertising slogans used to be "Scotland's other National Drink", referring to whisky, and "Made in Scotland from girders", though the closest one can come to substantiating this claim is the 0.002% ammonium ferric citrate listed in the ingredients."

tankiedrummie
06-01-08, 09:28 PM
Now is the Irn Bru you are buying in a glass bottle or a plastic one??

Glass bottle means made and bottled in Scotland...(original and best)
Plastic bottle means made and bottled in England or elsewhere...

Irn Bru tastes like Irn Bru and is the best hangover cure ever, with square slice, tattie scone and a fried egg in a well fired roll.......:scot:

Scarlet O'Hair
06-01-08, 09:29 PM
Now is the Irn Bru you are buying in a glass bottle or a plastic one??

Glass bottle means made and bottled in Scotland...(original and best)
Plastic bottle means made and bottled in England or elsewhere...

Irn Bru tastes like Irn Bru and is the best hangover cure ever, with square slice, tattie scone and a fried egg in a well fired roll.......:scot:

Glass. Says bottled in Scotland right on it.

tankiedrummie
06-01-08, 10:21 PM
Glass. Says bottled in Scotland right on it.

not always, just common fact in the east end of glasgow....that the real irn bru is in glass bottles

jjpiper
06-01-08, 10:34 PM
Picked up some original in bottles too. My kids love it. Especially the not diet. I think I saw an advert on youtube about girders and Irn Bru.

I used to pronounce it "urn brew" but my son set me straight.

Scarlet O'Hair
06-01-08, 10:44 PM
not always, just common fact in the east end of glasgow....that the real irn bru is in glass bottles

*Scarlet reads off label* :gah: OH NO!!!! IT's NOT!!!! On the front it says "scottish soft drink" so that's why I said it's bottled in Scotland...

"Bottled for TFB and associates limited, Markham, Ontario" :faint:

The bottle IS glass though...:puppydogeyes:

tankiedrummie
08-01-08, 12:09 AM
*Scarlet reads off label* :gah: OH NO!!!! IT's NOT!!!! On the front it says "scottish soft drink" so that's why I said it's bottled in Scotland...

"Bottled for TFB and associates limited, Markham, Ontario" :faint:

The bottle IS glass though...:puppydogeyes:

What size is the bottle?? volume??

DM Bill
08-01-08, 01:27 AM
Loud!

Scarlet O'Hair
08-01-08, 02:00 AM
What size is the bottle?? volume??

355ml

tankiedrummie
08-01-08, 08:14 PM
355ml

The original glass bottles were if i remember 750 ml, or close to that. and they were bottled in Scotland, taste different to the plastic bottled Irn Bru...

Scarlet O'Hair
08-01-08, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I would think that anything bottled in plastic would have a different taste if it were in plastic. Milk comes to mind...

These are wee teeny glass ones...I've seen it in cans too at the various games in Ontario.

Robbie.Crow
13-01-08, 08:52 PM
aye.. it follows a time line on a saturday:

4pm: buy the irnbru from the paper shop
4.30: buy the vodka from the offie
5: meet up wi m8s
5.15: drink half the irn bru
5.30: poor vodka in to make it full again
7: finish bottle of irnbru + vodka
8: finish vodka
9: see rival neds + get in argument
9.30: break glass bottles to use as weapons
11pm - 11pm 4years later: spend in police cells with no irn bru

:bg: