PDA

View Full Version : How many music books do you have?

Scarlet O'Hair
16-02-08, 01:16 PM
I haven't counted yet, and won't have time today (on the way to a practice then to play in the NorthBay Gala) but am realizing I'm building up quite a collection of music books both for drumming and piping.

How many are in your collection?

UpstatePiper
16-02-08, 01:50 PM
I've got about a linear foot (on a shelf) of books. They are a combination of music books and books about music. The music books are mostly fiddle books, but I do have a few pipe music books (so far).

My wife, a violinist, has file cabinets for music.

Scarlet O'Hair
17-02-08, 11:01 PM
I have file cabinets of music as well, loose photo copies and stuff.....I just can't bring myself to throw anything out!!!!

*scarlet scampers off to count her books*

Pete Walen
18-02-08, 12:24 AM
Define "music books."

I have 4 books of pipe tunes (an' I'm a drummer!) I have NO IDEA how many tunes I downloaded from pipetunes.ca (a bunch). I have many many books on traditional music, collections etc., Some very nice copies of song books and fiddle tune collections "with lyrics and music transcribed for the piano-forte" from the late 1800s (including a copy of O'Neill's - no, it stays put, the reprint I have gets pulled out and used when needed.) A file drawer of choice stuff - reprints of books and bradsheet collections from the early 1800s. And stacks of drum books. Far too many to count.

Itchyknee
24-02-08, 11:29 AM
I have far too many, most go back to my Ebay-addict period a few years back when I bought almost anything piping related. I have dozens of books and am constantly adding to them. My wife refers to my collection as "the fire hazard".

Vikki
24-02-08, 11:51 AM
well i've bout 6/7 of the NIPDS "books" piping & drumming wise... i have none, just photocopies. and a small collection at that.

i have quite a few piano books though, and a few accordian ones somewhere. oh, and 1 violin book...

jessierose
25-02-08, 11:35 PM
Only the essentials. Scots Guards 1 and 2, Kilberrry book, a few of the Pipe Teachers Assistants and a couple that snuck in. Truly, if you go to piping schools and workshops, you can build up quite a library or tunes just from what the photocopy and pass out.

3DronesorNoTone
01-03-08, 01:09 PM
I just counted and I have 53 so far. Plus about a 4 inch stack of loose copies of various tunes I have collected over the past 8 years. I am not done yet, I have my eye on several new books but my problem is do I buy more pipe music books or more beer brewing supplies ? :Ceith:

Another interesting question related: How much have you paid for a music book ?

I paid over $30 for a single pipe music book. Not that much really but I have heard some outrageous prices people have paid for some.

jjpiper
01-03-08, 03:41 PM
I only have about 6 but I have one of the old green books from before I was born. Early 70's.

Corkpiper
14-03-08, 06:46 AM
Probably over 25. I have the Scots Guard books since I was a kid-- got them in a music store in Antigonish.

Scottish piper
08-05-08, 04:52 PM
Absolutly tonnes! I'e got got several huge files crammed with music, Scots Guards books, W. Ross's, Donald MacLeod's and Various bits and pieces of piobroch books!
:bobby:

Stig
08-05-08, 05:53 PM
Not many books any more, I used to have a lot but some have been loaned out over the years and not returned. A lot of what I have, like many here, are photo copies of music handed to me by people in the pipe bands I have played in which I am now in the process of scanning to my computer to eventualy put all on one CD rom or DVD for starage. Mostly standards for piping but all kind of insanity for drums.

SDowns
19-05-08, 01:29 AM
I have 5 books.....but a ton of sheet music. I've file folders bulging with them and I can't even remember much of what I have acquired...all legally of course.
:evilhaha:

Scarlet O'Hair
19-05-08, 01:39 AM
oh yes of course!

Robbie.Crow
19-05-08, 11:22 AM
i have 4 music books.

3 are john mckails
1 is just random sheets i've picked up and shoved in a folder

redneck
23-05-08, 05:27 PM
None...........dust gatherers...........ma tunes are all in ma head.

Ceilidh
24-05-08, 07:14 AM
Stopped counting after 40. I did notice that we have 7copies of the same scots guard book. Also numerous folders of band music and a draw in the filing cabinet for old band music.
7 binders of side drum scores
4 of tenor stuff
and many many folders on the computer.

I need a life. :drum1:

Sean
10-06-08, 08:22 AM
I received 4 box loads of music after my Dad died last year. The most prized is a hand signed John Wilson Book I and II. Also got a lot of Army manuals as well as all the original Donald MacLeod books.
I still haven't picked through all of it yet!
The best thing though was a book of hand written stuff by my Old Man....all these years I never knew.

Reid
10-06-08, 02:21 PM
I received 4 box loads of music after my Dad died last year. The most prized is a hand signed John Wilson Book I and II. Also got a lot of Army manuals as well as all the original Donald MacLeod books.
I still haven't picked through all of it yet!
The best thing though was a book of hand written stuff by my Old Man....all these years I never knew.

Sounds priceless.

I have six books.

Ceebomb
17-06-08, 07:53 PM
I have 9 books.

Steve
17-06-08, 08:29 PM
Listen buddy..

I have nine books does not cut it..

Please state what the books are called and who wrote them... What tunes you like in the book and why you like them...

Its alot more interesting for our members to read when you have something worth reading...

rpeitzsch
17-06-08, 09:49 PM
I have 3 books (I think): the 2 Duthart books and one other. Sheet music, on the other hand, I have scads of it: some from Duthart, some from Kilpatrick, some from David Wonsey and Tom Kee, some from Gordon Bell, a lot of band music. The problem is that I can't find my copy of the first Duthart book.

Stacpiper
17-07-08, 07:28 AM
None, hahaha i scavenge it all off the net and I have tunes like Gordon Duncan's thunderstruck, Chris Armstrong's X-treme, Mark Saul's Hellbound Train any heaps others from just searching websites.