PDA

View Full Version : glow in the dark drumsticks..

Robbie.Crow
16-03-08, 09:21 PM
I want them :bg:

any idea where i can get them?

thehorseltd
16-03-08, 10:01 PM
none...

tartaniac
16-03-08, 10:48 PM
You go online and get them through DrumBum.com. They come in blue, pink, red, and yellow. Unfortunately, they don't come in green since that is the color laser that is used to make the sticks color.

Mine are blue. It is fun to wait until late in the evening an pull them out in a pub. They sound horrible but they do flash every time you stick. If you need to have some quality of sticking, you can always share with a friend -- each of you with one stick but in opposing hands. That way someone has a real stick at any given moment.

Go for it, Robbie! They are fun.

Belliabang
16-03-08, 10:49 PM
I know that you can buy glow in the dark paint from home depot, both in spray cans and by the quart. It says that it will paint onto any surface, so, maybe you could paint the shaft of the stick, but leave the heads alone so they're un affected?

Hope that helps rob!

tartaniac
16-03-08, 10:58 PM
The paint only works if you have a black light on.

The ones from DrumBum.com have batteries and lights inside a clear acrylic shaft so the stick action triggers the lights. You don't need any kind of special lighting or even complete dark -- although they do look pretty wicked in the complete dark.

Belliabang
17-03-08, 12:50 AM
Sorry! I meant glow in dark paint, it works in the absence of light (ie- the dark!) We used it in my brothers room a few years ago for stars etc.. I believe the type of pain you're referring to is known as 'neon', which shines magnificantly in black light environments.

Sorry to confuse!

Matt

NMCustoms
17-03-08, 01:52 AM
I used florescent paint and a black light that I picked up at Canadian Tire back in a grade 10 talent show.. Although this clip does no justice (as the quality is poor)- it works and can look pretty damn cool as an element to your solo. Check this CLIP (http://youtube.com/watch?v=N3PU5tda4Dw) out and fast forward to 2:05.

I know Top Secret is playing with sticks that aren't glow in the dark- but they are so bright that they might as well be glowing. :) I got to play with these sticks while in Basel with them. It was just a regular florescent paint that their custom sticks were finished in... A more yellow color- than green.

-Personally, I'm still a fan of when they lit their drums on fire in 2006, that's just me...:)

Cheers,

Stig
17-03-08, 02:37 AM
I have a set that a friend got me when they were in Disney World a few years back and they are deffintely more for show than for playing and they don't last that long either. I played with them for a day or two just tapping on my knee and the batteries kept comming loose inside of them. I tried several times to take them out and tighten up the connections but to no avail. I would suggest not wasting your money on them but that it just me. I have seen several other different pairs over the years but have yet to ever try a pair that sounded good at all.

pipingtenor
17-03-08, 05:14 AM
We use them in our mini drum salute (I mean the snare players do). They're fun and a real crowd pleaser, but yeah they sound crappy. Our guys have just used them for a few performances and they're over a year old and still playable.

tartaniac
18-03-08, 12:21 AM
Yep, they sound crappy but when the crowd is inebriated, they can see slightly longer than they can maintain and discerning ear. When in doubt, confuse them and they think you did a great thing.

Mine are about three years old. The first pair had a defective stick but DrumBum replaced them with a brand new pair.

Re: sound -- that's why I suggested that if you are interested in maintaining some sound integrity, use one or two pair and give only one stick to each drummer so someone is hitting the drumhead with wood on each stroke. The acrylics are not as loud as the wood.

I love Top Secret. I haven't seen their glowing sticks. I wonder if it was a reflective paint like they use on the streets... that would reflect spotlights rather brilliantly.

Hey, the flash is just for fun. It's not about fantastic sound but fantastic fun. Good for the ooohs and aaaaahs.

Mom2Grace
18-06-08, 05:44 PM
Alright...bumping this thread up to see if anyone has come up with anything new?
Questions for anyone who has purchased from DrumBum...what's the weight like? I'm putting together a drum salute for our show in November, and I want to make an impression. Lead tip with group like HEAVY sticks (KP3), so before I spend the $$ I'd need to know what the weight comparison is.
Are the drum sticks for Top Secret made custom for them?
Cheers!
Carla

DM Bill
18-06-08, 09:46 PM
Before you look very far, check out Wally Mart... One of OUR drummers got a pair there,
For a similar, though slightly less-lasting effect, you might try -- seriously -- "Glow Worm" condoms, stretched over the sticks.

They don't need blacklight to glow, they are made with phosphorescent dye of some kind.

I'm REALLY surprised I'm the first to suggest these! :rc:

dharron
18-06-08, 10:15 PM
Bill, you are probably the only one who even knows about them... I didn't. Those might work on tenor sticks too, if you buy the extra virile size. :bg:

Robbie.Crow
18-06-08, 10:18 PM
moving along...

dharron
18-06-08, 10:20 PM
....glowing in the night....

Mom2Grace
19-06-08, 12:25 AM
Alright...I will say negative to the condom idea...that's gross...
Also, they can't fall apart after playing them once...
Maybe glow paint on the ends of the sticks...blacklight...hmmm... ideas, ideas...

Robbie.Crow
19-06-08, 12:30 AM
sticks
white paint
UV light

Mom2Grace
19-06-08, 12:50 AM
yeah.but don't want to ruin the sticks too much. white paint will be VERY visible afterwards...

janelleTG
19-06-08, 08:59 AM
Before you look very far, check out Wally Mart... One of OUR drummers got a pair there,
For a similar, though slightly less-lasting effect, you might try -- seriously -- "Glow Worm" condoms, stretched over the sticks.

They don't need blacklight to glow, they are made with phosphorescent dye of some kind.

I tried these for tenor mallets...Seriously. However you have to hold them up close to a light for too long to get them to glow and then they don't glow long enough to get on and of the stage, so to speak.

dharron
19-06-08, 03:40 PM
Not a lot of staying power then, Janelle? :bg:

What about the chemical inside light sticks? If I recall, it glows for a long time outside of the stick... no, don't ask.

Reid
19-06-08, 03:51 PM
Bill, you are probably the only one who even knows about them... I didn't. Those might work on tenor sticks too, if you buy the extra virile size. :bg:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I say go for the glow in the dark condoms.

:lmao:

rpeitzsch
19-06-08, 05:36 PM
I believe that what's being sought are sticks that don't need an outside energy source to glow. Using the white paint's a good idea, but then you'd have to have someone toting a blacklight along, and turn out the other lights in the room where you're playing. The white paint won't store up the energy.