PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg

Bob
11-05-08, 04:47 PM
Anyone coming to Gatlinburg?

Piper06
11-05-08, 11:43 PM
I will be there. Probably be found lurking around Knoxville to see if POR still is alive, or else by my PM's wifes ceramics vendor booth. Come by and buy a lot. :woohoo:

UpstatePiper
12-05-08, 04:29 PM
We're going.

It will be our second outing in Grade 4.

StealthPiper
12-05-08, 06:39 PM
I really, REALLY wish I were going! 2 former teachers are going to be judging there, one of whom I haven't seen in 10 years, and I would give just about anything to be able to see him and talk to him right now. :puppydogeyes: Plus it seems everyone I know has been to Gatlinburg on vacation or whatever, and I never have but would like to sometime.

Piper06
12-05-08, 10:37 PM
Stelth PM me any messages and I will pass them on.

Dennis

CanuckinGA
13-05-08, 12:24 AM
I'll be with you in spirit but physically I'm heading to Baltimore on business Sunday. I wonder if the polis will object to me playing in the Inner Harbour between meetings?

jessierose
13-05-08, 02:16 PM
Oh man, is Gatlinburg this weekend?! I wanted to go to that one! Crumms! I always get my dates mixed up!
Have fun boys! I guess I will let someone else win some medals there this year!

Piper06
13-05-08, 09:41 PM
Thanks Jessie, not to get every one else not to show up so I can have second in a field of one. :rotf:

Piper06
16-05-08, 12:22 PM
I am packin up and heading out in a couple of hours. I will see everyone there, even those who are there in spirit only. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Piper06
18-05-08, 12:17 AM
I came, I saw, and I

Choked

Wait till next year.

Piper06
18-05-08, 12:27 AM
Piper of Rose, by the way took two second places today. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Piper of Rose
19-05-08, 01:47 PM
Piper of Rose, by the way took two second places today. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

And piper of the day.

Hi everyone

Piper of Rose
19-05-08, 01:55 PM
By the way thanks Dennis for the mug shot. It was a great day for me.

I am leading the Knoxville B band and it was an ok day. That is our teaching competition band and we had some tone and tempo issues......again. Well back to work.

dharron
19-05-08, 01:57 PM
Congratulations, Mr. Rose!!!! Did the drummer lad compete?

Piper06
19-05-08, 02:38 PM
And piper of the day.

Hi everyone

John Congratulations on Piper of the Day :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

That is what happens when they keep you down with us riff raff. You out shine everyone. Let me know for this year, I will write a letter for you too. :Ceith:

UpstatePiper
19-05-08, 05:07 PM
Congratulations PoR!!! I missed getting a chance to say high to you, but every time I saw you, you looked pretty busy. Now I know why!

The weather was great; although the rising temperatures didn't do much to help our tuning.

CanuckinGA
20-05-08, 01:24 AM
Congrats PoR!!!

Piper of Rose
20-05-08, 01:03 PM
DOR got a 3rd an 5th but had his morale boosted by Tom Foote. Tom was the drumming judge on the day.

Pete Walen
20-05-08, 01:47 PM
Sounds like it was a decent day for the House of Rose.

Well done to you both!

johnhguerry
20-05-08, 07:42 PM
Has anyone got videos from Gatlinburg? I am interested in the Charleston Police Open contest. (Bout dropped my stick)

Piper of Rose
20-05-08, 09:31 PM
Has anyone got videos from Gatlinburg? I am interested in the Charleston Police Open contest. (Bout dropped my stick)

What did you think of the performance of AG on the hill?

Piper06
21-05-08, 01:31 AM
It sounded great :woohoo: :woohoo:

UpstatePiper
21-05-08, 03:10 AM

Well played, but from an artistic standpoint I don't think it really adds.

I think it would be a lot cooler if the solo piper on the hill played first -- just like at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. Solo -- one band -- massed bands.

Just my opinion.

Piper of Rose
21-05-08, 12:19 PM
Well played, but from an artistic standpoint I don't think it really adds.

I think it would be a lot cooler if the solo piper on the hill played first -- just like at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. Solo -- one band -- massed bands.

Just my opinion.

Good idea! Being the second year of doing that it is still evoving.

johnhguerry
21-05-08, 03:30 PM

AG on the Hill??? What does that mean? I am am out of the loop.

Piper of Rose
21-05-08, 03:41 PM
AG on the Hill??? What does that mean? I am am out of the loop.

Knoxville is the host band so they pull out of mass bands and assemble up front. Knoxville plays Amazing Grace (AG) through once. Then Mass Bands plays once. Then Knoxville again with seconds. Then I play solo up on a hill in front of the mass bands but behind the crowd. It shocks the heck out of the crowd.

johnhguerry
21-05-08, 04:04 PM
Knoxville is the host band so they pull out of mass bands and assemble up front. Knoxville plays Amazing Grace (AG) through once. Then Mass Bands plays once. Then Knoxville again with seconds. Then I play solo up on a hill in front of the mass bands but behind the crowd. It shocks the heck out of the crowd.

Oh ok. Sorry, I am the rude drummer in the back that dispises massed bands. So usually I am back there talking, getting drunk (always keep a spare beer and flask of scotch if possible), and making smart @$$ comments. So ... I must have missed it. But it sounds like a great idea.

Sorry.

Piper of Rose
22-05-08, 02:41 AM
Oh ok. Sorry, I am the rude drummer in the back that dispises massed bands. So usually I am back there talking, getting drunk (always keep a spare beer and flask of scotch if possible), and making smart @$$ comments. So ... I must have missed it. But it sounds like a great idea.

Sorry.

How the heck did you miss it????? You must'a been lit.:zap:

Bob
22-05-08, 02:46 AM
Has anyone got videos from Gatlinburg? I am interested in the Charleston Police Open contest.

Open contest was good. We took a 3rd. I was told it was close and we almost got second.

Congradulations to John, a well deserverd award POD

Piper of Rose
22-05-08, 03:05 AM
Open contest was good. We took a 3rd. I was told it was close and we almost got second.

Congradulations to John, a well deserverd award POD

Thanks Bob,

It meant a lot to me when you came over and congratulated me. As you know the stars have to be in line to get POD.

I loved the open competition. We took every body (not everybody but every body) and played them. Bill Cadill looked at us when we walked up to the line and said. Mass bands already. We had 23 pipers 8 sides and 5 tenors. It was great. We came in last but who cares. We did beat somebody in ensemble.

Piper of Rose
22-05-08, 03:22 AM
POR got POD hahhahahahahahaha

Piper of Rose
26-05-08, 05:36 PM

Sorry.

John good to meet you this weekend.

johnhguerry
27-05-08, 02:52 PM
John good to meet you this weekend.

Same here.

Piper of Rose
14-06-08, 03:34 AM
Ok not to brag but this was probably one of my only times to win this.

A pic of me receiving my pod trophy. Notice I am grabing the far side with the intention of never letting go.

CanuckinGA
14-06-08, 03:53 AM

A pic of me receiving my pod trophy. Notice I am grabing the far side with the intention of never letting go.

Nice pic, and congrats PoR on PoD!
:party:

UpstatePiper
14-06-08, 04:28 AM

Nice!

Where did y'all get your vests from?

We're kind of thinking of getting some. Personally, I'd prefer to avoid wearing them from May through October, but I seem to be the only person in my band who really, really likes wearing a plain old white short sleeve shirt.... It's hard enough to breathe as it is!

Piper of Rose
14-06-08, 02:48 PM
Nice!

We're kind of thinking of getting some. Personally, I'd prefer to avoid wearing them from May through October, but I seem to be the only person in my band who really, really likes wearing a plain old white short sleeve shirt.... It's hard enough to breathe as it is!

That's cause you're skinny! Vest tend to hind age!!!!! ha. J. Higgins is were we get all our wear.

Piper06
15-06-08, 01:50 AM
Just a side comment about J. Higgins. I ordered one last Sunday, and it arrived on Thursday. Nice workmanship. I will get to try it out Thursday on picture day. :Ceith:

janelleTG
15-06-08, 09:52 AM

Congratulations PoR!!!!!!!!!!!

KatieMc
15-06-08, 02:14 PM

LOVE IT!! Congratulations, PoR!! :hug:

Oh yeah, I love my vest.... it looks better and we don't have to wear those huge belts! :kait:

I ordered mine from Sandy St. James last year the Monday before Stone Mountain. When it arrived on Wednesday it was the wrong size, so on Thursday he sent another one to a Pipe Major in Atlanta (who is a friend of his) and she brought it to me at Stone Mountain! Now THAT'S service!! :bg:

Piper06
15-06-08, 03:12 PM
I am jealous. I have sent Sandy St. James 3 or 4 emails, and called him several times. I was only able to leave one message since the other times is phone message system was full.

Great prices, but if you can't order not a good deal. I wanted to have mine by Gatlinburg.

I at least will have my Higgins one for School pictures. :woohoo:

KatieMc
15-06-08, 07:33 PM
Oh no, really?? I never had trouble calling him. He's a lot of fun to talk to, too!

CanuckinGA
16-06-08, 02:00 AM
I am jealous. I have sent Sandy St. James 3 or 4 emails, and called him several times.

Oh no, really?? I never had trouble calling him. He's a lot of fun to talk to, too!

Apparently he is equally discerning in matters of people and apparel!

KatieMc
16-06-08, 02:02 AM
:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Piper06
16-06-08, 02:15 AM
Thanks John

I was going to say how would I know, I never could talk to him.

Katie I met your friends today.

KatieMc
16-06-08, 02:23 AM
Aww... tell them I said Hi! I haven't seen them since Mother's Day weekend. :puppydogeyes:

CanuckinGA
16-06-08, 02:41 AM
Dennis - good luck with the sessions. Will you be stopping by practice or the pub Tuesday evening?

Piper06
16-06-08, 03:25 AM
Probably not until the pub. I might even get there first. On no they will be out of Guinness by the time you get there. :poke:

I heard a great recital today, Chris Armstrong from Scottish Power. Ben has met his match for lightning fingers. I have recorded it, but the file is too big to send.

Anyone know of a good file hosting program, or else I will have to split it. :Ceith: