PDA

View Full Version : Truehand Engraving

truehand
26-05-08, 06:45 PM
Hello Pipers,
My name is David Davidse and I run Truehand Engraving here in Ontario, Canada.
I specialize in hand engraving bagpipe mounts, shields etc.
Please have a look at my websites www.truehand.com and www.bagpipemounts.com for more information.

Thanks,
Dave

Bobby
26-05-08, 07:02 PM
Welcome aboard David ! Feel free to join in on any conversation. In fact, we encourage it!

mlf
26-05-08, 07:04 PM
Kin ell.... it's not often i swear but that is a gift you have.

KatieMc
26-05-08, 07:06 PM
I agree.... beautiful work!!

dharron
26-05-08, 07:44 PM
I agree.... beautiful work!!
And what would you expect of an artist named David from Ontario? :poke:
Seriously, David, your work is fabulous!! I can see a few people around here dreaming about having something special from you... :drool:

Paul Ouellette
26-05-08, 11:58 PM
Everyone :

David is the fellow that (thankfully) was able to reproduce the silver pattern of a 1906 MacDougall presentation bagpipe for me...

Have a look at the original...

Sorry...please refer to the photos on David's website for ideas of his bagpipe mounts.

This silver is going to be used on the new pipe Jerry Gibson is going to be making for me, which I expect will be completed in Oct-Nov of this year.

There will be pictures with close ups on the Gibson website for all to see & in the event anyone else wants to order a pipe with silver-work like this, Dave will be quite pleased (I'm sure) to make certain I'm not the only fellow with a set of these out there.

David is a gentleman & a pleasure to do business with.

But of course...you wouldn't expect anything less from a Beneteau sailor. ;)

P.

SDowns
27-05-08, 12:01 AM
David,
Don't you do work for Morton Bagpipes?

sass jane
27-05-08, 12:04 AM
:drool: is right!!! The gallery photos of the small stuff...the wedding band...and especially the tiffany bracelet most impressed me.....until I saw the piccys Paul posted the links to. Wow....... *trys to think of what I HAVE to have engraved.....since my pipes are already fully engraved....*

Bobby
27-05-08, 02:52 AM
I have to ask....what is picture 16 in the slide show on your website?? I can't figure out what it is for the life of me.

Jim McGillivray
27-05-08, 02:56 AM
Everyone :

David is the fellow that (thankfully) was able to reproduce the silver pattern of a 1906 MacDougall presentation bagpipe for me...

Have a look at the original...

Sorry...please refer to the photos on David's website for ideas on his bagpipe mounts.

This silver is going to be used on the new pipe Jerry Gibson is going to be making for me, which I expect will be completed in Oct-Nov of this year.

There will be pictures with close ups on the Gibson website for all to see & in the event anyone else wants to order a pipe with silver-work like this, Dave will be quite pleased (I'm sure) to make certain I'm not the only fellow with a set of these out there.

David is a gentleman & a pleasure to do business with.

But of course...you wouldn't expect anything less from a Beneteau sailor. ;)

P.

Paul:
Please do not link directly to photos I have taken and posted on my website without my permission, and certainly not without credit or any form of acknowledgement. I'd like these removed now please. There is a rather unseemly story behind the use of this silver pattern that I'm sure we would both prefer I not get into here.
JM

jessierose
27-05-08, 02:57 AM
Bobby,
Do you mean the baby dishes and silver?

Bobby
27-05-08, 03:04 AM
There's something with a red stone and what appears to be some diamonds in it. I'm completely baffled as to what it is.

jessierose
27-05-08, 03:11 AM
OH! That gallery! What the heck is that?
I feel like I'm looking at one of those close-up pictures in kid's puzzle magazines where you're supposed to figure out what it is!
It's a pretty...whatever it is.

truehand
27-05-08, 01:43 PM
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome everybody!!
In answer to the questions..
Bobby, pic#16 is the bolster of a very fancy scottish knife.
SDowns, I have done work for Morton Bagpipes, yes.

Paul, I hope you have safely splashed "Winpipe" and are ready to enjoy the season. Fair winds!!

Yours,
dave

Bobby
27-05-08, 01:47 PM
umm.....what's a bolster? :emb:

truehand
27-05-08, 02:05 PM
a knife bolster is the part between the handle and the blade.

Bobby
27-05-08, 02:07 PM
Ahhh ! Now I get it. Thanks!:bgt:

Paul Ouellette
27-05-08, 02:17 PM
Dave :

Winpipe is being launched in on Friday.

There are three reasons for this year's late splash...

1) It's hard to be thinking about sailing when I'm still having to wear a coat.

2) Mary's had me doing "stuff" to the outside of the house...trim shrubs, pull out the plants that didn't survive the winter, plant new ones to replace the dead ones, put down mulch, yada, yada, yada...(the keep up with the neighbor's stuff...) AND...

3) Having a shorepower access installed in Winpipe's anchor locker !!!

You see, after 7 seasons of running the power cord from her stern to the dock (we always bow in...) & sometimes being (5ft-10ft) short to reach the plug, I finally decided to cough the $$$ to have the access ports installed forward.

No more walking the deck to string the cord forward for this guy...finally !!!

Oh, & for all you non sailors out there...let me assure you that a 50ft shorepower cord is about as much fun as having to wrestle with 50 wire coat hangers, ever time you pull into port.

Nuff said !!!

P.

jsragman77
27-05-08, 02:32 PM
If the 1903 MacDougall pattern here, http://www.bagpipemounts.com/
is an exclusive on D. M. Atherton bagpipes as advertised, how does Jerry have the same photo and offering on his "Signature Series?"

Mark

Bobby
27-05-08, 02:37 PM
That would be a business confidence between Jerry and the engraver wouldn't it Mark?

jsragman77
27-05-08, 03:20 PM
The pattern is exclusive or it isn't.

Mark

phyx
27-05-08, 04:02 PM
Now that is interesting...two makers...one engraving, one "exclusive" and the other a "signature series"...weird

Reid
27-05-08, 04:17 PM
Now that is interesting...two makers...one engraving, one "exclusive" and the other a "signature series"...weird

LOL, I love it.
:fight:

jessierose
27-05-08, 04:30 PM
Has anyone asked Jim?

phyx
27-05-08, 04:41 PM
Or Dave Atherton, or Jerry Gibson?

jessierose
27-05-08, 04:42 PM
Yeah, now I am totally curious! Jim has been in lately. Someone oughta PM him.

phyx
27-05-08, 04:44 PM
What about the thread starter--David from Truehand Engraving....perhaps he can shed some light.

Paul Ouellette
27-05-08, 04:57 PM
Group :

Here's things as I've found them out to be this morning...(Gawd, the politics...) & it's time to air the laundry...so here we go...

Apparently Truehand Engraving has a agreement in place with Atherton (as a dealer...) to have an exclusive on that silver design...period.

Gibson Bagpipes is not a dealer that can order that design from Truehand.

Having said that, it's also the case that Truehand has an understanding that sales of that design can be arranged on an individual basis...just as I've done.

Anyway...once the silver is purchased, an individual can proceed to have the mounts installed on any set of pipes they choose.

I've chosen Gibson.

I feel confident in the move to have this exclusive silver installed on the new set of pipes that Jerry is making for me...& having said that...

I'm also confident in Jerry's assurance that he will be turning the pipes himself & only using the very best & darkest ABW for the job...which we (he & I) have affectionatly labeled..."the Gibson Signiture series" pipe.

The pipe won't be finished until later on this year.

Film at eleven.

P.

rpeitzsch
27-05-08, 05:00 PM
Paul, thanks for clearing that up.

jessierose
27-05-08, 05:15 PM
Drama, drama, drama. Gotta love the piping world!

Snooper
27-05-08, 05:30 PM
That is some seriously beautiful silverwork.

Bobby
27-05-08, 07:16 PM
You certainly have done some nice work Dave. That viking pattern looks pretty cool and the thistle is beautiful!

truehand
28-05-08, 01:50 AM
Hey, thanks again for the compliments, sure feels good!
sounds like the confusion has been cleared up..
anywho, hand engraving has a long tradition in piping, I honor that, for you, the piper who wants to personalize, customize and finely embellish their bagpipes.

so pipe on!

dave

OC Richard
30-06-08, 01:40 PM
A little story about what can happen with silver patterns: I'm an artist by profession and drew up a design for custom mounts for a set of mine.
I had the mounts done, and was surprised to see, a couple years later, pipes being offered with my design!

Bobby
30-06-08, 02:09 PM
Post up some pictures of your pipes Richard. I like to see unusual work and I'm sure we'd all like to see them. :bgt: