PDA

View Full Version : Indoor / Outdoor practices

Bobby
02-06-08, 03:38 PM
With spring and summer weather upon us, many bands begin holding practices outside again. what sort of observations do you have about indoor vs outdoor playing and what challenges do you face?

UpstatePiper
02-06-08, 04:50 PM
We started practicing outdoors in late February.

Our indoor practice location is too small.

CanuckinGA
02-06-08, 05:44 PM
Outdoor challenges? Something kept trying to gnaw my left knee at practice last week.
:fight:

dharron
02-06-08, 05:49 PM
Outdoor challenges? Something kept trying to gnaw my left knee at practice last week.
:fight:
Probably the sheep!!! :bg:

We practice outdoors year round.

Scott Foster
05-06-08, 04:58 AM
You can definately start hearing things you otherwise wouldn't indoors. Everything sounds "cleaner". And them drummers don't destroy my ears.

KAILY
05-06-08, 08:26 AM
Weather permitting we will be outside practicing most evenings during the summer mainly on a grass surface as 99% of competitions in Scotland are held on a grass surface.
Practicing on the grass gives you a much clearer sound and you can then balance your bands sound to outdoor playing for the competitions

We have only one drawback with outside evening sessions and that is "midges" and an insect we call a "cleg"

Our school is on the banks of the river Forth which is a tidal river, during summer the tide comes in approx. at 8.30pm when this happen we are bitten terrible by the midges and if a "cleg" bites you it is a nasty very sore infectious bite which can with some people cause painfull swelling.
So we always go indoors around 8.30pm before the army of insects moves off the mud flats.
Kaily