PDA

View Full Version : Who are the National Council?

getawaytae
24-09-08, 09:47 PM
Having just been looking at the RSPBA rules (subject of another thread) I was surprised to find out how much power the stewards actually wield. Firstly I appreciate their hard work and dedication that makes competitions happen, but I was shocked when I read "the Power of the National Council" (1.90 onwards). The one about their decision being final with no appeal really got me.
So does anyone know who they are, or what qualifications they have?

I used to think they were the "jannies" but they turn out to be "marshall's"!

Robbie.Crow
24-09-08, 09:48 PM
i know they are only normaly at international competitions... you normaly see them at north berwick, brige of allan, worlds + cowal plus the world solos

Vikki
24-09-08, 09:49 PM
if you mean joe bloggs etc. there is a list on the RSPBA site as far as i know. actually not sure why they're in that position or if they have any qualifications

in northern ireland our national council reps are at every contest. i did think there should be at least 1 N.C at every contest...

getawaytae
25-09-08, 07:33 AM
Yup they are at every contest here. I didn't mean "Joe Bloggs" per say. More interested in a bit of general information like "former band members" or "ex-Army". And how they actually became members of the National Council.
It's just that, for a body to have such powers over bands, and yet remain in the background seems.............strange!
If a band gets dq'd its the National Council that do it, not the judges, as I and many others would have believed.

Thought they were janitors- turned out to be Hong Kong Fuey!

redneck
26-09-08, 04:33 PM
My uncle George was a national council member ( George McClean Holland ), he was a tireless worker for the bands here in N.Ireland ( he also was an ex member of our band the R.A.M.S), after years of fighting tooth 'n nail he wrapped it up, said he got feed up wi the yes men. :shtf::shtf::shtf:

getawaytae
28-09-08, 07:44 PM
Sad to hear he's stepped down, but tell him thanks for all the hard work. Without people like him there would be no contests!
Who were they all saying yes too?

KAILY
28-09-08, 11:07 PM
Having just been looking at the RSPBA rules (subject of another thread) I was surprised to find out how much power the stewards actually wield. Firstly I appreciate their hard work and dedication that makes competitions happen, but I was shocked when I read "the Power of the National Council" (1.90 onwards). The one about their decision being final with no appeal really got me.
So does anyone know who they are, or what qualifications they have?

I used to think they were the "jannies" but they turn out to be "marshall's"!
Thanks getaway
We all could find fault with our governing body, but I also appreciate all the hard work they do, at the end of the day all members to The National Council are voted on by you and me! so if you have a grouch go to the
"A.G.M AND VOTE THEM OFF"!!
KAILY

getawaytae
29-09-08, 09:39 AM
No grouch from me. I understand the value of these people and that, without them, competitions would not happen.

thought they were jannies turned out they're Hong Kong Fuey!

KAILY
29-09-08, 09:55 AM
No grouch from me. I understand the value of these people and that, without them, competitions would not happen.

thought they were jannies turned out they're Hong Kong Fuey!

I totally agreegetawaytae, there are some very unqualified people voted on to the N.C.
Some representatives now and in the past voted on to the N.C. at my local A.G.M. have and have had no experience of playing in a band, yet were successfully nominated.
This annoys me, as major decisions on music etc are made by the N.C. and I feel if you are a member of the N.C. you should at least have had some practical knowledge on piping and drumming
Kaily

redneck
02-10-08, 07:44 PM
Sad to hear he's stepped down, but tell him thanks for all the hard work. Without people like him there would be no contests!
Who were they all saying yes too?

Cheers, 'n yes he did work hard and sacrificed a lot of his personal and family time ( as a good majority of the more astute N.C members do )

Not wanting to slander any particular person/persons, the yes men I'm referring to are the ones who just said yes to certain persons just because they had a so called reputation----" O yes we'll do that, that's a great idea ", that sort of thing. The yes men never even thought it through and what consequences it might have just to appease 'n been seen to be knowledgeable.

That's one of the main reasons he quit.....he always put the welfare of the competitors/bands before any glory huntin' fer himself, made a few enemies, but made a hell of a lot of good friends, who to this day still ask after him.

fiferpiper
12-10-08, 06:45 PM
There is a major distinction between contest stewards and Nationa Council!

Each branch can nominate one representative to sit on the National Council. This is the body that ultimately sanctions everything that goes through the various sub-committees, like the Music Board, Adjudicators, Stewards, etc, etc.

There is always a National Council rep at an RSPBA contest - normally they announce the results. They also make sure the contest is run according to association rules (i.e. timings, tunes).

One point well made is that you need not one iota of experience to do this, only the nomination from your branch.

On the other hand, the Stewards are the guys who get the bands from the tuning area to the line - and currently there's a shortage, so anyone who's interested can volunteer their services!

Cheers,

M.

Vikki
12-10-08, 08:23 PM
i dont know so much about the band stewards but in the NI Branch we have a DM committee & the stewards are elected at the AGM.