PDA

View Full Version : British results

An claidheamh soluis
24-06-06, 08:26 PM
Quite a turnup for the books then! SFU finding it's not quite as easy as just turning up <sn1gger>

Field Marshal
Strathclyde Police
Shotts and Dykehead
Vale of Atholl
Scottish Power
Simon Fraser
Boghall and Bathgate
St Laurence O'Toole
Clan Gregor Society
Dysart and Dundonald
Lothian and Borders Police
Ballycoan
Bleary and District

PowerBoozer007
25-06-06, 01:14 AM
Makes me really wonder if it's worth a bands time to travel 12 hours on a plane, deal with jet lag and try to compete against bands that just have to turnup?

redneck
25-06-06, 09:03 AM
What ya sayin' John?. Bands that just have to turn up?

FMM, are the best in the world m8, maybe SFU just ain't as good as y'all think.

Good result fer the Polis too, indeed this world championships is gonna be the most open in years regarding the top 5 placings (1st spot is reserved fer the FMM, hence the top 5 placings :mlf: )

Itchyknee
25-06-06, 12:08 PM
Why's it called the british championships anyway? I wasn't there but, come on, there's a bit mair to it than just turning up. If a band disna get first place there's always folk going on about greeting that they wiz robbed. Happens every bloody year. Roll on the Worlds.:jeeze:

Heilan Mary
25-06-06, 12:56 PM
WAs told last night that there was 1 point between SFU and Boghall so was pleased about that.

Celtic Mitch
25-06-06, 04:20 PM
Ok I don't want any hate mail here, but why do you all feel the need to type in slang talk...it's hard to read, and I know you don't normally type like that.

So, about the British...sometimes things just don't turn out the way you'd expect. Imagine the 78th Frasers surprise when they got second yesterday at the Canadian Championships...Toronto Police won the day.

I don't think bands just have to show up either really. But, maybe they are sending the North Americans a message!

Heilan Mary
25-06-06, 06:19 PM
We all talk in slang talk because that is how we talk.

PowerBoozer007
25-06-06, 06:27 PM
I wasn't saying that SFU were expecting to win just for showing up, but maybe it's a bit unrealistic to expect a band to be on top of it's game when they have to travel a great distance to attend a local contest for others.

BTW Mitch, the 78th grew accustomed to 2nd place when we had the mighty Metro band in full gear. Those were great days!

Dai Robb
25-06-06, 07:36 PM
We all talk in slang talk because that is how we talk.

Sorry Mary dont agree with you on this one??, I am afraid talking in "slang" as Mitch puts it, is just similar to TYPING IN CAPITALS, trying to get over your statement ikn your Native tongue. I am sure when you were at school, had you written your lessons like that, you would have had "the belt" I am sorry, but I agree with Mitch, we were taught the Queens English, so should write as we were taught?

I guess thats me in the kennels again then??

Heilan Mary
25-06-06, 08:06 PM
Not atol!!!! LOL! With everyone texting nowadays people talk in slang and aboreviate everything. Its the same as writing in shorthand.

Itchyknee
25-06-06, 08:30 PM
Mary, I don't think Mitch was refering to your post.

Perhaps the mods could delete posts if the level of English is not appropriate. Gimmie a break:mlf:

Stormy
25-06-06, 09:28 PM
I wasn't saying that SFU were expecting to win just for showing up, but maybe it's a bit unrealistic to expect a band to be on top of it's game when they have to travel a great distance to attend a local contest for others.

I think that SFU were expecting to win. Why travel all that distance if you did not expect to make your mark for the Worlds. I honestly think that SFU were being unrealistic in expecting a win, which I believe they were. As Redneck said maybe they just ain't as good as they think they are!

As for distances involved, maybe in Canada the travel distance would be considered "local" but this is certainly not the case for Scottish or Irish bands.

PS - If yer no shoor aboot wit am sayin then wat am tryin tae say is effum ha ha, ha ha, ha ha ha ha! :bg:

Dai Robb
25-06-06, 10:24 PM
Funny enough I understand that last bit quite clearly Stormy??

Celtic Mitch
26-06-06, 12:18 AM
Well, how's about I start typing all my posts in Canadian with some native stuck in there and talk about stuff you have no clue about...wouldn't that be nice..of course..you people think you're the almighty anyway.so..whatever

PowerBoozer007
26-06-06, 01:45 AM
It just proves that SFU are human too and prone to error.
I'm sure they'll have the sound problem sorted in quick order.

Don't count them out just yet!

MItch some people like to lay it on thick as to appear clever, the back road talk is humorous at best.

sass jane
26-06-06, 05:36 AM
Well, how's about I start typing all my posts in Canadian with some native stuck in there and talk about stuff you have no clue about...wouldn't that be nice..of course..you people think you're the almighty anyway.so..whatever

:bg: ....thatsa why I like you....:bg:

Dai Robb
26-06-06, 10:16 AM

Wow, someone upset you Mitch? I guess you are not to happy at the moment, nerver known you go off like that?

Heilan Mary
26-06-06, 10:46 AM
Type away then - it will be fun for us trying to understand another language. :bg: Whats this almighty crap????:yesmaster:

Adam
26-06-06, 11:18 AM
Wow, I am confused. I've logged on here for the first time in a few days to see comments on Pitlochry, and weirdness abounds.
What's the slang? Stuff like the Scottish words Itchyknee used?? Maybe I've been looking at it too long but I didn't see any slang there, but I did have to ask someone what LMAO and IMHO meant when I first started.
Is it the Scottish words like mair and disna? That's just more and doesn't.
Or Boghall & Bathgate?? I don't understand them either, I think they might be swear words....:wink:
I'm probably more guilty than anyone of using "slang" in the past, I was brought up in a doric speaking household in the North east of Scotland, and I've used words that I've just assumed that everyone will get the gist of, maybe I've been wrong. I've not intended at any point to "appear clever", far from it, I am a grade 4 hack. So, I apologise here. My spoken accent is marked enough that English people who are only familiar with the "Glasgae" accent ask if I am French....:jeeze: .....maybe I should link up with pipers in Quebec. I don't get the almighty bit, is it a joke , I've missed??
The Atlantic is wide enough, lets not make it any wider.

Back to Pitlochry, distance shouldn't make any difference to judging, IMHO.

Bobby
26-06-06, 01:22 PM
I doubt they thought it would be an easy contest. They've been up against these same bands every year for many years at the worlds. In a sense, all the bands just "show up", so to harbour negative feelings in advance of the contest, doesn't sit well with me. Every contest is supposed to be about the best performance of the moment, and not about petty partisan politics. Friendly rivalry is one thing, but slagging a band for attending, and where they're from, is just childish and perpetuates the nonsense we are all interested in stopping. Aren't we??

Peace out everyone :goodidea: :bananadancer:

Reid
26-06-06, 02:37 PM
Makes me really wonder if it's worth a bands time to travel 12 hours on a plane, deal with jet lag and try to compete against bands that just have to turnup?

What I got from this quote was that most of the other bands would not have to deal with as much jet lag as others. I think it would be a hard pill to swallow. Spending that kind of time and money to come over and for a band like SFU to finish 6th. I think it was a trial run with these new chanters.

The worlds this year should be interesting. I wouldn't count out SFU just yet. A finish like this is a wake up call. I doubt that they will have a finish like this in the worlds.

Hopefully I will get a chance to make it to the worlds this year. I would love to hear all these bands in person for a change, especially FMM.

Adam
26-06-06, 02:52 PM
Spending that kind of time and money to come over and for a band like SFU to finish 6th. I think it was a trial run with these new chanters.

That is one very expensive trial run! Is there anyone here that was at Pitlochry can say why SFU came 6th? Surely it wasn't just down to chanters??
And why is SFU coming 6th causing more talk than Field Marshal coming first, or Strathclyde Police 2nd and Shotts and Dykehead 3rd? :faint:

Just curious...............

Dai Robb
26-06-06, 03:04 PM
I agree Bobby, time to CHILL as they say somewhere??

Heilan Mary
26-06-06, 03:13 PM
That is one very expensive trial run! Is there anyone here that was at Pitlochry can say why SFU came 6th? Surely it wasn't just down to chanters??
And why is SFU coming 6th causing more talk than Field Marshal coming first, or Strathclyde Police 2nd and Shotts and Dykehead 3rd?

I was indeed at Pitlochery and made a point of listening to SFU and the Polis. I like in everyone elses expectations expected SFU to win but in all fairness they didnt sound good at all. From what I can remember they had a bad ending but will need to check back the recordings to make sure. The judges on the day dont care if you have travelled from the other side of the world to compete - they are looking for the best band at the end of the day in no matter what grade it is. The polis played on the there way up to the line and they sounded really good. SFU should be grateful of receiving a prize at the end of the day.

Celtic Mitch
26-06-06, 03:28 PM
Wow, someone upset you Mitch? I guess you are not to happy at the moment, nerver known you go off like that?

Dai my friend, when I get really unhappy, you'll know. I go off all the time (somplace else LOL)

Mary....don't get yer knickers in a twist lassie....I'm over it now. But honestly, some posts are just hard to read with all the crazy words and I often skip posts completly...and that is not cool, I like to see what people have to say, but when I get a headache doing it, it's nae fun.

Reid
26-06-06, 03:38 PM
And why is SFU coming 6th causing more talk than Field Marshal coming first, or Strathclyde Police 2nd and Shotts and Dykehead 3rd? :faint:

Just curious...............

Expensive or not if it's in the budget that's their choice. Why else would they make the trip???

Reid
26-06-06, 03:44 PM
The judges on the day dont care if you have travelled from the other side of the world to compete - they are looking for the best band at the end of the day in no matter what grade it is.

I think you are missing the point. I'm not saying because SFU showed up they are entitled to a top 3 finish. I'm simply saying it is possible that jet lag was a factor. Is that not a possibility? You are right jet lag or a sore buril finger or whatever the case may have been, bad playing/sound will get you poor results.

Congrats to FMM on a 1st place finish.

true_blue_piper
26-06-06, 04:04 PM
Dai my friend, when I get really unhappy, you'll know. I go off all the time (somplace else LOL)

Mary....don't get yer knickers in a twist lassie....I'm over it now. But honestly, some posts are just hard to read with all the crazy words and I often skip posts completly...and that is not cool, I like to see what people have to say, but when I get a headache doing it, it's nae fun.

@Celtic Mitch

Mate, I spend every single day with people; only about half of whom even speak a modicum of English, and of those who do, even less can even understand my "Embra accent".

Believe me, I've been in a foreign land for the past nineteen years.....and I've learnt to get by in a mixture of languages.

I don't know what exactly is going on here, however I suspect (but only suspect) that there were those from Canada who thought that the SFU would walk things.

It didn't happen....get over it.

If you think that this is an anomaly, think again....it's gone on for decades.

The judging system may not be perfect but until someone comes up with something that's better....so be it.

I wasn't there but I do have a couple of friends (1st grade) who were there....and they thought that the SFU got what they deserved. In fact, they thought that the SFU were a mere shadow of what they were in days long gone by.....and that they were lucky to get what they did.

If for whatever reason you think that was some sort of anti-Canada thing, I suggest you look at the results for the past decade or so.
I'm personally sick to the teeth of those who moan and keep moaning.
Either put up or shut up.

As for language used on a forum.....I just don't get it. I can well understand what the Scots, the Canadians, the Americans and the English are saying. What on earth is the issue ?

To me personally, it was a delight to see Boghall doing well.

I've never ever had anything to do with the band, however over the past year or so, I've met friends through this forum, one of whom is Heilan' Mary....and she has just recently joined that 1st grade band.

I'm ever so pleased for her.....that she has accomplished so much......

In this day and age, it is most unfortunately rare for people to give praise when credit is due......in my experience, people just seem to want to complain and complain.

Well just maybe SFU just weren't up to it (for whatever reason) on the day in question and the other bands were. C'est la vie my friend. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

A few weeks ago, Tartaniac (at least I think it was her) posted something well worth reading. It was something to the effect that everytime you read something, try and think positively at what the person posting it is trying to say, rather than reading it and taking offence.

I have read many articles on forums and just wish that everyone took the same approach as Dai and Tartaniac. If they did, there wouldn't be half the animosity that seems to exist today.

And there endeth my lesson.....like it or not.

@Heilan' Mary....YOU GO GIRL !

Celtic Mitch
26-06-06, 05:15 PM
True Blue...I'm not at all offended by the postings about SFU..I live in the land of the 78th Frasers and we get it shoved down our throats all the time about how good they, how wonderful they..yet..they got their butts whipped on Saturday....the lesson here is..on any given day, any band can beat any band....

Reid
26-06-06, 05:22 PM
@Celtic Mitch

"If for whatever reason you think that was some sort of anti-Canada thing, I suggest you look at the results for the past decade or so.
I'm personally sick to the teeth of those who moan and keep moaning.
Either put up or shut up."

A few weeks ago, Tartaniac (at least I think it was her) posted something well worth reading. It was something to the effect that everytime you read something, try and think positively at what the person posting it is trying to say, rather than reading it and taking offence.

I have read many articles on forums and just wish that everyone took the same approach as Dai and Tartaniac. If they did, there wouldn't be half the animosity that seems to exist today.

And there endeth my lesson.....like it or not.

It seems funny to me that in breath you elude to an anti-Canadian thing, and in the next you say let's loose the animosity thing and have a group hug. It seems to be contradiction. I don't think anyone there is an anit-Canadian feel because of one set of results.

I have in the past cheered for Alcal and SFU. Why is that??? It’s because that is who I am exposed to. I as well as many other people do not have the exposure to the amount of grade one bands that many of you guys do, and to be honest I am jealous of that fact. The games I attend sometimes has AlCal as the only grade 1 participant. There are no other bands at the level in my area. I wish our games had a turn out of 5 or more grade one bands.

I do not doubt that SFU got the results they deserved. The judging seemed to be consistent. My comments were merely pointing out that a simple change in time zones may have been a factor, not the overall cause, but factor. There is also the possibility that it didn’t, who really knows. The fact of the matter was it was up to them to make the trip and take that gamble.

In one of my other posts I stated that I spoke a friend that plays in Alcal. He said that this is NOT the same SFU from back in the day. Think of it though, with the results that SFU did get it potentially opens the door for other bands for the worlds. This could be one of the most interesting worlds (for grade 1) in sometime. Time will tell.

I hope my post makes senses. I was all over the board on this one.
Cheers,

Reid

Reid
26-06-06, 05:25 PM
@Celtic Mitch

I've never ever had anything to do with the band, however over the past year or so, I've met friends through this forum, one of whom is Heilan' Mary....and she has just recently joined that 1st grade band.

I'm ever so pleased for her.....that she has accomplished so much......

Thank you true blue for pointing this out.

CONGRADULATIONS Heilan, that is a hell of an accomplishment.
:bgt: :bgt: :bgt:

Bobby
26-06-06, 05:55 PM
I learned a long time ago, never to ask a participant what they thought of the results. I always ask audience members or "non-combatants".:wink:
Since hanging up my competition shoes, I have to say I have a much better understanding of many of the results by virtue of being able to listen to ALL of the performances in a given grade at a given contest. I always park myself at the grade 1 and grade 2 circle at Maxville because that's the level that interests me most. It means no disrespect to anyone in any other grade, you have to choose which circle if you want to get close enough to hear. I certainly do have my preferences, but I can easily recognize and acknowledge the good and bad in each band performance. When you're a participant, your perception is understandably coloured by what you hear in your immediate proximity, your memories of rehearsals, etc.. and you rarely get to hear the other competitors performances. Ontario has been "the land of the Frasers" for some time, and deservedly so from what I have heard at the contests I have attended. Previously, it was the land of the Clan, the land of Metro...Guelph, etc....Bands fortunes wax and wane over time.

I have to say that one of the best performances I have ever heard was Toronto Police playing their MSR in a torrential downpour at Maxville a few years ago. Anyone that was there can attest to the horrid conditions. The playing execution was incredible, and they deserved to win, which they did. There were a number of years in the past where the Frasers were routinely slagged by certain judges for particular sections of their music....I recall hearing about a score sheet that had comments scratched out about them not playing a certain movement cleanly, that they had not even played at all. The comment was written down before the attack.....I hope those days are gone. Every band has experienced some ups and downs.

I've never been a member of the Fraser's, but I have been lucky enough to be a member of one grade 1 band and a couple of grade 2 bands in the past, in case anyone is wondering.

Some bands seem to sacrifice the "music" in order to play some weird sort of technical exercise in their medley's. It may be well executed, but it's still boring and uninspiring. Other's sacrifice the execution for sacarin sweet predictable "music" which is equally bad in my book. It's a band contest. Not a pipe corps and drum corps contest. Balance is needed that will hopefully hilight the strengths of, and complement, both groups during the contest.

Lets all stop being so negative....get along....it's starting to resemble some "other" discussion.

SFU was most likely very curious to see how the new setup would stand up in Scotland. Most likely a test drive so to speak. I highly doubt they expected to "walk" the contest, (maybe they did, maybe they didn't...I didn't ask them and I doubt anyone else did either) and I take issue with anyone who wants to suggest arrogance on their part just for attending....that smacks of arrogance itself. Obviously every band would hope to do well, or they wouldn't go at all, but no one can predict how it will all turn out (hopefully).

piper_dancer
26-06-06, 06:22 PM
I live in the land of the 78th Frasers and we get it shoved down our throats all the time about how good they, how wonderful they..yet..they got their butts whipped on Saturday....
coming second doesn't make a band less good or less wonderful, maybe another band just played better that day, in the JUDGE'S opinion.

Reid
26-06-06, 06:24 PM
You raise some good points Bobby. Well put.

Reid

Bobby
26-06-06, 06:41 PM
Thanks Reid.

by the way Mitch....still love ya....will be looking for my hug at Maxville.:surrender: :bg: :beer:

Is Peel coming up to Ottawa for the Police Memorial in September?

Craig m
26-06-06, 06:56 PM
Its good to see Strathclyde getting back up the right end of the results table.

craig m

Celtic Mitch
26-06-06, 08:37 PM
Thanks Reid.

by the way Mitch....still love ya....will be looking for my hug at Maxville.:surrender: :bg: :beer:

Is Peel coming up to Ottawa for the Police Memorial in September?

Yes Bobby we are. We are staying in Ottawa for Maxville too.

Celtic Mitch
26-06-06, 08:41 PM
coming second doesn't make a band less good or less wonderful, maybe another band just played better that day, in the JUDGE'S opinion.

That's not what I meant..geeze, there I go again thinking you all can read my mind. It is more or less in response to the posting that people think that maybe SFU thinks all they have to do is show up to place in the top 3 or 4...and I often think that the Frasers think the same thing. The look of surprise or huge disappointment was quite evident on Saturday. I was standing right beside them. Just because you are who you are, you still have to earn the prize..sometimes. Is that any clearer?

Reid
26-06-06, 09:44 PM
That's not what I meant..geeze, there I go again thinking you all can read my mind. It is more or less in response to the posting that people think that maybe SFU thinks all they have to do is show up to place in the top 3 or 4...and I often think that the Frasers think the same thing. The look of surprise or huge disappointment was quite evident on Saturday. I was standing right beside them. Just because you are who you are, you still have to earn the prize..sometimes. Is that any clearer?

Celtic Mitch you are the bomb!!!
:bc: :bc: :bc:

Dai Robb
26-06-06, 10:03 PM
I plead guilty to being the person that true Blue is talking about, the one that asked members to consider what they were posting. What you type and what is read by the person on the other side, sometimes is completely different. I have no doubt that the "us" and "them" has something to do with it, I have been as guilty as the next person in doing this, but what it has taught me, is that I try to sit back, breathe in and then read my post again before sending it, sometimes I even shock myself? A case in point in this very one that Mitch is on about, I read her post and immediatly thought it was out of order. BUT to Mitch she meant nothing by it, she was just stating her point of view, buit to Mary and others it was shall we use the words OFFENSIVE, but I also see her point in that sometimes(myself included) use the Scots vernacular, and at the time, it is hilarious, but try seeing it from a non Scots view point. I have made so many friends since joining this forum over a year ago, some I hold very dear, I am at the age where friendship is sacred, I would hate to see those friends fall out, because of a slight error of Judgement, So I again ask, PLEASE once you have written your post, take time to read it, think what others will read and if required EDIT IT, Thank you my Friends

CelticCeith
26-06-06, 10:40 PM
So I again ask, PLEASE once you have written your post, take time to read it, think what others will read and if required EDIT IT, Thank you my Friends

Dai, once again YEW have demonstrated why YEW are the Forum Grand-dad ….. Cool wisdom :yourock: . I couldn’t agree more with your comment regarding “what was typed not necessarily being what was meant”. I myself have been caught in the awkward position of having an email being completely misunderstood…. In hindsight I could see where the misunderstanding came from.

Now lets all go back to teasing Steve!!!! :wee:

Dai Robb
26-06-06, 10:46 PM
Ceith, you have it on the ball my freind, surely it is much more enjoyable teasing steve, than haragueing each other? Come on now feloow members, i want a concentrated effort here, lets all have a got at Steve, aftre all he cant BAN all of us?? CAN HE?? LMAO

Steve
27-06-06, 09:00 AM
all have a got at Steve, aftre all he cant BAN all of us?? CAN HE?? LMAO

hehehehe my ban button is very big... lmao...

Dai Robb
27-06-06, 09:39 AM
Boasting again are you Steve??

Bobby
27-06-06, 03:58 PM
isn't a button by definition usually a short round thing??:mlf:

Dai Robb
27-06-06, 10:42 PM
I dont know about that, Hang on, just checking??? NO my belly button is definately not round, more squashed and gnarled looking LMAO

PowerBoozer007
28-06-06, 04:29 PM
Here's another angle to concider!

Suppose for what ever reason the FMM ended up 6th place, do you not think people would be scratching there heads and asking why?

How is this any different than SFU's result?

I imagine that the 78th are getting geared up to do well at the Worlds this year seeing as their blowing off the North Americans in favor of playing at a smaller Scottish games, must be a real kick in the ass when they lose a local contest!

Personally, blowing off Maxville is not cool, they look like real dickheads in the eyes of many!!!! I'm not the only one that thinks they should be supporting their local scene.

Celtic Mitch
28-06-06, 05:33 PM
I love you John! :yourock:

PowerBoozer007
29-06-06, 01:45 AM
Ah Mitch, they all tell me that at first, then they leave me and I am forced to search for yet another!

Perhaps a few hundred more and i will find the right one? :bed:

Dai Robb
29-06-06, 09:41 AM
Blimey keep going at this rate then John, you will be too worn out to be any good to anyone

Heilan Mary
29-06-06, 01:42 PM
Here's another angle to concider!

Suppose for what ever reason the FMM ended up 6th place, do you not think people would be scratching there heads and asking why?

How is this any different than SFU's result?

I imagine that the 78th are getting geared up to do well at the Worlds this year seeing as their blowing off the North Americans in favor of playing at a smaller Scottish games, must be a real kick in the ass when they lose a local contest!

Personally, blowing off Maxville is not cool, they look like real dickheads in the eyes of many!!!! I'm not the only one that thinks they should be supporting their local scene.

How is blowing off Maxville not cool? It is the bands choice where they play not the eyes of many. Bridge of Allan games are not classed as smaller games! If memory serves me correctly they played at Bridge of Allan last year but anyone who has been there should know that these games are big. :notlistening: :fu:

PowerBoozer007
29-06-06, 01:49 PM
LOL, no Dai, I'm just training & preparing myself for that special one!

PowerBoozer007
29-06-06, 02:12 PM
How is blowing off Maxville not cool? It is the bands choice where they play not the eyes of many. Bridge of Allan games are not classed as smaller games! If memory serves me correctly they played at Bridge of Allan last year but anyone who has been there should know that these games are big. :notlistening: :fu:

To be fair Mary, I've been to both the Bridge and the Worlds and by comparison, Maxville dwarfs both those contests put together.

Maxville has a long standing tradition here of hosting the top pipe band contest in North America and everyone looks forward to it! The 78th are basically trying to marginalize the North American title by saying it's not worth playing for.

It's this simple, If gr1 bands do not want to support competition in their own local area, games committees will cancel them. The 78th are setting a precident for future generations that might not have the option of attending gr1 competitions. Glory hunting is OK, but not at the expense of the culture!

rpeitzsch
29-06-06, 02:28 PM
This isn't the first time they've skipped Maxville. Remember the uproar back around 2002 when SFU came to compete and played a concert the night before, and the 78's decided not to attend the competition?

Dai Robb
29-06-06, 02:59 PM
I have just had a PM from Bobby explaing the details about what has been happening over there, and I can onlu sympathise. I suppose over here in the Uk we have it easy, there are the recognised games, and most Bands travel to take pasrt in them without too much hassle. I think it very sad that this has happened at a time when as I said to bobby, the Pipe Band scene, is not exactly booming. What a pity that everyone could not get together and make sure they6 arte singing from the same "Hymn Sheet" as it were:faint: :bow:

Celtic Mitch
29-06-06, 03:01 PM
First of all..the 78th did not not go to Maxville because SFU was coming...the 78th had planned on going to L'Orient but the deal fell through...so..they went to Scotland instead.

Mary...it always looks good for the band that wins North American Champion at Maxville to take to Scotland with them. We get a couple of Scottish judges at that event and I would think it gives them a chance to see what's going.

I think the 78th skipping Maxville is a slap in the face to other Canadian and US bands that want to challenge and it shows what little disregard they have for the Ontario circuit. People wonder why I'm not a fan of theirs...cause of nonsense like this. I'm sick of the "premadonna" attitude. It's wearing thin.

piper_dancer
29-06-06, 03:28 PM
I think the 78th skipping Maxville is a slap in the face to other Canadian and US bands that want to challenge and it shows what little disregard they have for the Ontario circuit. People wonder why I'm not a fan of theirs...cause of nonsense like this. I'm sick of the "premadonna" attitude. It's wearing thin.
I'm sure that the 78th are missing Maxville for a good reason, but it's just being made out as something disrespectful to the Ontario Circuit when it's not. I don't think they are a band that's full of themselves, but unfortunately, sometimes it's made out that way...
Maybe you're just taking it all the wrong way??

rpeitzsch
29-06-06, 03:46 PM
First of all..the 78th did not not go to Maxville because SFU was coming...the 78th had planned on going to L'Orient but the deal fell through...so..they went to Scotland instead.

Oops, the way I wrote that does seem to imply that they didn't go to Maxville because of SFU. My bad. :devil:

Bobby
29-06-06, 03:52 PM
Lot's of people will be disappointed with the absence of those bands that are not attending Maxville this year.

For the record, I'm a fan of the band and the PM. I enjoy listening to all of the grade 1 bands that make it up to Maxville.

I'm sure that they perceive that there will be some benefit to be be gained leading up to the Worlds by going to Bridge of Allen, but it does leave behind the impression that Maxville is somehow less important to them, and their priorities are elsewhere, which is disheartening to many. Lets face it, it's not like going to Bridge of Allan is less expensive than going to the North American Championship in Maxville.

Heilan Mary
29-06-06, 04:21 PM
Why is the Maxville Competition being held a week later than it was last year anyway??? Last year it was held on the same day as the Major over here in Scotland (Tain). Maybe if they had kept on the same weekend as previously more of the canadian bands would have been able to attend instead of wanting to be in Scotland a full week before the Worlds in order to adjust to the cooler climate and get over there jet lag.

Bobby
29-06-06, 04:24 PM
Here's how it works:

Over here in Ontario, the first "Monday" of August is a civic holiday. Maxville is always held on the preceding Saturday.

Celtic Mitch
29-06-06, 08:03 PM
Why is the Maxville Competition being held a week later than it was last year anyway??? Last year it was held on the same day as the Major over here in Scotland (Tain). Maybe if they had kept on the same weekend as previously more of the canadian bands would have been able to attend instead of wanting to be in Scotland a full week before the Worlds in order to adjust to the cooler climate and get over there jet lag.

What Bobby said..it's always held as always has been the first weekend of August, no matter when it falls. Everyone knows that...so when planning your band schedule you know exactly when it is. The Holiday just happens to fall a bit later.

Most PPBSO games are always held the same weekends every year. Not our problem that games elsewhere conflict.

As to the 78th, I've been around them longer than you have been alive Cindy....they've always had that attitude.

Bobby
29-06-06, 08:19 PM
Mitch, it's the holiday Monday that determines the date of the Maxville Games. Sometimes it ends up in July, Sometimes in August. It all depends on the date of the first monday in August which is the civic holiday. It's always the same weekend, not always the same date.

piper_dancer
29-06-06, 08:58 PM
As to the 78th, I've been around them longer than you have been alive Cindy....they've always had that attitude.
This isn't cindy....its Kaitlin

Celtic Mitch
30-06-06, 02:07 PM
This isn't cindy....its Kaitlin

Sorry...my mistake....

piper_dancer
30-06-06, 02:28 PM
It's all good :bg: