??????? any suggestions
What are you working on?

piper_dancer
04-12-08, 01:47 AM
nice piobaireachds.
play the Blue Bonnets for your 6/8.

Piper of Rose
04-12-08, 03:25 AM
A problem exists if you are in EUSPBA. They are deciding on whether to go to the MAP program. If so you will a song list to select from. My understanding is this applies to bands as well. I also understand it may be January or February before they decide. That makes it a bit difficult to start working on tunes now for April competition, or February if you compete at the Citadel Indoor games. This is all rumor and innuendo so not sure if, what or when. But it does make it difficult to decide now what to start working on.

CanuckinGA
05-12-08, 05:58 AM
A problem exists if you are in EUSPBA. They are deciding on whether to go to the MAP program. If so you will a song list to select from. My understanding is this applies to bands as well. I also understand it may be January or February before they decide. That makes it a bit difficult to start working on tunes now for April competition, or February if you compete at the Citadel Indoor games. This is all rumor and innuendo so not sure if, what or when. But it does make it difficult to decide now what to start working on.

Neither rumour nor innuendo ... apparently it was decided to go to MAP format for Grade IV and V band competition sets. Grade IV must choose tunes from an EUSPBA-approved list of 2/4s. Grade V will be required to choose from an EUSPBA-approved list of suitable 4/4s, but have the option of going with the 2/4s instead. This is voluntary for 2009 but will become mandatory in 2010. The 2/4 list is the same list as the RSPBA MAP list. The 4/4 list is being created by the music committee and is supposed to be released in January.

What's in store for solo comps, you might be wondering? Well, proposed at the 2008 AGM and referred to the Music Committee was the following:
8. Proposal to alternate 2/4 and 6/8 marches for Grade 4 solos For Grade 4 solos, swap off 2/4 and 6/8 march requirements on even and odd days.
Rationale: 6/8 march playing is rarely offered in the lower grades and would help to make a more well rounded player by having different time signatures to compete in and facilitate more beat conscious playing thus preparing the player for 6/8 march playing in the upper solo grades.
This applies to both junior and senior contests.

As for what I'll be competing with in 2009 solos, I'm working on Mrs MacDonald of Dunach as a 2/4 and am still debating a 6/8, assuming I need one. There's always Atholl Highlanders, but do you think I'd do well with John Wilson's The Judging was Bad?

Pete Walen
05-12-08, 04:08 PM
CinGA has the gist of it - with one very strong note:

MAP applies to bands, not soloists.

The alternate-the-solo-march idea sounds like a Charlie-Foxtrot waiting to happen. But, since I'm a drummer, not in EUSPBA, I'll simply shake my head.

CanuckinGA
05-12-08, 05:48 PM
CinGA has the gist of it - with one very strong note:

MAP applies to bands, not soloists.

The alternate-the-solo-march idea sounds like a Charlie-Foxtrot waiting to happen. But, since I'm a drummer, not in EUSPBA, I'll simply shake my head.

Thank Pete, I didn't make as clear a distinction between the two as I'd intended. Personally I don't mind the proposed change to solos, as it means I'll have more variety to practice. 6/8s have a swing to them that I like. So do 2/4s for that matter, but it is easy to lose sight of that in endless repetitions. I can definitely see the potential for confusion by adding this to the grade where competitors are just learning the ropes. "Charlie-Foxtrot" indeed!!

As for the band comp changes, my personal opinion is that it will suck the joy out of competing in the affected grades. Reduced enthusiasm will be reflected in fewer competing bands. How can this be a good thing?

fifefighter
06-12-08, 07:29 PM
For the bands is what I have heard also. Be interesting on January.

CanuckinGA
06-12-08, 08:24 PM
For the bands is what I have heard also. Be interesting on January.

Interesting, as in "Oh look, those two trains are about to collide!"

Piper of Rose
06-12-08, 09:17 PM
I thought we were playing music. Which means being musical. So now we are confinded to the same lists of music, lets just be robots. How stupid.

fifefighter
07-12-08, 03:41 AM
Interesting, as in "Oh look, those two trains are about to collide!" as posted by CanuckinGA

Yep, will be a lot of work for some who do not have the tunes in the list. Is it that hard to judge the bands?????

CanuckinGA
07-12-08, 05:11 PM
I thought we were playing music. Which means being musical. So now we are confinded to the same lists of music, lets just be robots. How stupid.

When they publish the 4/4 list we'll know how many tunes we have to select from. Do the math based on how many Grade V bands are at your favourite competitions and see just how repetetive this is going to be. I'm sure the crowds at Stone Mountain will be entertained by endless repetitions of "Cockney Jocks"

dharron
07-12-08, 05:42 PM
When they publish the 4/4 list we'll know how many tunes we have to select from. Do the math based on how many Grade V bands are at your favourite competitions and see just how repetetive this is going to be. I'm sure the crowds at Stone Mountain will be entertained by endless repetitions of "Cockney Jocks"
They'll be wantin' to snip off some "Jockney C...", um, well, you get the picture, I guess.:bolt:

CanuckinGA
07-12-08, 05:46 PM
They'll be wantin' to snip off some "Jockney C...", um, well, you get the picture, I guess.:bolt:

:shiver:

jjpiper
11-12-08, 04:55 AM
Any one else with grade 4 solo tune suggestions?

KAILY
11-12-08, 09:37 AM
Reading some of the posts about the M.A.P. Concept ( Musical Appreciation Performance ) I find that some of you do not yet fully understand what the M.A.P. Concept is and how this system can help you and how it works in major competitions.

In the past lower grade bands teaching methods were very unstructured and this was reflected in many of the bands performances at competitions

The M.A.P.Concept was introduced to encourage ( not force ) pipe majors, leading drummers and pipe band members to study and present music which highlights and encourages the study of good "Form and Structure" of the Pipe Band`s music.

Extract from the R.S.P.B.A`s. M.A.P. booklet and video of "The Language of Music":
The aim of the Academy of Pipe Band Musicianship is to present a teaching concept for The Pipe Band which highlights and encourages the study of "Form and Structure" in music by comparing the "Language of Music" with other forms of language.
The concept also underpins guidance on how a structured approach to drum presentation can influence the expressive, rythmical and musical qualities of the Pipe Band performance.
The "Vision" of the Academy is to provide the background, guidance and stimulus for SELF DEVELOPMENT by the Pipe Band leaders in the understanding of Pipe Band musicianship.

As you know I teach young lower grade bands, they have been using the M.A.P. Concept since it was first introduced.
I find that my Pipe Bands are playing a lot better, and my knowledge of pipe band music has been greatly enhanced.
My pupils have co-operated well with me to apply this concept to our pipe band lessons, and since 2005, 100% of my pupils have achieved top marks in their School music exams.

Nobody in the respective Pipe Band Associations is trying to force you to play and use this concept, but you will sadly lose out in a lot of good constructive advice and encouragement on how your Pipe Band and its members can progress to playing a more stuctured and musical form of music.

Remember anything that is introduced to help advance your knowledge of pipe band music can only be a good thing!
KAILY

P.S. The choice of M.A.P.2/4 marches is very varied and there are some nice tunes in the list.

M.A.P. 2/4 marches are played in the qualifying heats at all major competitions.

If your band qualifies for the final play off, you can play a selection of tunes of your own choice.
Hopefully the knowledge gained at studying the ,M.A.P. concept will be of great assistance to your band playing a more musical performance.

Robbie.Crow
11-12-08, 04:38 PM
aye..... sadly we've been trying to tell john that MAP drumscores should be "easy"...... he's having none of it.... :jeeze: :poke: :bg: :bolt:

wjjagfan
11-12-08, 11:06 PM
2/4: Barren Rocks of Aden; Captain Norman Orr Ewing
Had three first place finishes with Captain Norman Orr Ewing; haven't played Barren Rocks in competition yet.

6/8: Donald MacLean of Lewis; Farewell to the Creeks
Competed twice in 6/8 with Donald Maclean of Lewis and had one first place finish; haven't played Farewell to the Creeks in competition yet.

Slow March: ?suggestions? I've played Loch Rannoch and Lochaber No More in the past - not much success with either of them even though I love the slow march. Thinking of Mist Covered Mountains.

redneck
12-12-08, 10:35 AM
6/8 March try Una Robertson........a belter, S/Air could be Loch Ruin.

♫♪ w ppr ♪♫
28-12-08, 04:00 PM
2/4 - Arthur Bignold
6/8 - Jean Machlen
S/R - Dorotor Bridge / Lachlan Macphail
Piobrach - Glengarry's Lament
Jig - Archie Beag

catherwood
29-12-08, 02:25 AM
2/4: auchmountain's bonnie glen

droner
14-01-09, 04:10 AM
As it stands now (still a month away from first solo of the year) G4

2/4: Donald Maclean's Farewell to Oban
6/8: The Braemar Gathering
S/R: Capt Colin Campbell/Colonel Macleod
S/A: Eileen Mary Connely
Pio: Chisholm of Strathglass's Salute

Working on others but that will hopefully do me well!
I'm happy to see the S/R contests in G4 and hopefully I can get the full pio up for the comps who offer it...

Mark J.
12-06-09, 05:13 AM
6/8: Donald MacLean of Lewis

2/4 - Arthur Bignold

Big Thumbs up for some awesome tunes!

Good foot-stompers there...IMO

:D

Scottish piper
12-06-09, 03:52 PM
March;
Clan MacColl
Kantara to El Arish