PDA

View Full Version : Who/What are you reading?

getawaytae
26-12-08, 05:06 PM
Who/what are you reading and how does it measure up?

Author:

Genre:

Category:

Basic Plot:

Comments:

Vikki
26-12-08, 07:44 PM
did you ever read Nikki Sixx's autobiography? Really enjoyed it, very hard to put down!

At the moment, i'm reading the Shakespeare Secret by J L Carrell. Thriller. "A deadly serial killer is on the loose, modelling his sickening murders on Shakespeares plays.. But why is he killing? And how can he be stopped?"
Interesting, keeps the reader guessing... I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the book pans out

Don Robertson
26-12-08, 08:06 PM
The Iliad

Author: Homer

Genre: classic

Category: epic classic

Basic Plot: this guy fights a bunch of other guys, and goes places

Comments: epic !! (whew, what a read)

SDowns
26-12-08, 11:42 PM
The Project Management Question & Answer Book

Author: Michael W. Newell

Genre: Project / Business Management

Category: Uber Geek

Basic Plot: A person gets hired as a Business Analyst in a large, city government position and soon finds himself needing to brush up on his business skills.

Comments: It's quite the funny story where acronyms are used incorrectly and to confuse those less than well-versed in the art of techno mumble. Sure to become a movie in which Dilbert will assume the lead role.

Sean
27-12-08, 12:45 AM
The Strongest Tribe - War, Politics and the endgame in Iraq

Author: Bing West

Genre: Current events

Basic Plot: This guy, (West) has spent the most time in Iraq out of ANY journalist from the get-go. Has interviewed people I know. Has been in more fights than me.

Comments: If you want to know the truth about what's going on and why we are winning the war, read anything you can find from this guy. You won't find it in the New York Times, any British or Canadian papers, CNN, CBC, and most definite not the BBC.

getawaytae
02-01-09, 08:09 AM
Author: Conn Iggulden

Title: Emperor Field of Swords

Genre: Action

Category:Historical fiction

Basic Plot:The Story of Gaius Julius Ceaser

Comments: Part of a four part series. Each book stands up on its own. At the back of the book there's an appendix which tells of the deviations form the true history that he has made to make the plot work. Quite fast paced, bit of intrigue. Whole series is quite a good read.

Vikki
02-01-09, 04:46 PM
Twilight
Author: Stephanie Meyer

Genre: fantasy (and a little romance i guess)

Basic Plot: Bella Swan's move to Forks, a small, perpetually rainy town in Washington, could have been the most boring move she ever made. But once she meets the mysterious and alluring Edward Cullen, Bella's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. Up until now, Edward has managed to keep his vampire identity a secret in the small community he lives in, but now nobody is safe, especially Bella, the person Edward holds most dear. Twilight captures the struggle between defying our instincts and satisfying our desires. (from Amazon)

Comments: After seeing the film, I was fascinated, and bought the book (make that all 4 books in the Saga). Probably just over halfway through it. The kinda book I dont want to put down. Would definately recommend it!!

Belliabang
02-01-09, 07:09 PM
Author- Barack Obama

Title- Dreams of My Father

Plot- Memoir of Obama's upbringing, and the impact of race.

Comments- Love it, I think everyone should have a go at it!!

NewPiperinNY
02-01-09, 08:53 PM
Author- Various
Title- Various
Plot- Space, the final frontier....

Comments- I recently purchased about 100 Star Trek Paperbacks and working my way through them. Not in any specific order, just whatever title strikes me... We're talking older books, early 70's through mid 80's. I get alot of enjoyment out of them.

I was also re-reading the Dark Tower Series from Stephen King. Got 2 in.. and lost interest because of the Star Trek books...

SancheA
02-01-09, 11:23 PM
Fifteen Days: Stories of Bravery, Friendship, Life and Death from Inside the New Canadian Army

Author:Christie Blatchford

Genre:Real life

Category:War

Basic Plot:Canadians in Afghanistan

Comments:Good read..A reporter's spends time in Afghanistan and picks 15 days that stuck out to her and wrote a book on them..very interesting..

Vikki
14-01-09, 03:57 PM
eclipse - 3rd book in the twilight saga. (i.e. twilight thats in the cinemas). i'm addicated. written by stephanie meyer, fantasy. workin my way through the 4 books, and cant believe i only just discovered it all. loving it!

Robbie.Crow
14-01-09, 08:48 PM
Ways to Live Forever

This book is written by Sally Nichols, a new writer - i know her brother through sailing - and i thought it was worth a read.

It's a sort of Diary of a boy called Sam, he's 11 years old and he has luchemia. Sam likes lists and facts. his first list ends like this;

5. By the time you read this, I will already be dead.

how can you not want to read on after that??

A very good book worth a read!

jessierose
14-01-09, 09:04 PM
I am reading a book about the stuff found in the luggage of asylum patients long after the asylum closed down and the patients were all dead or gone. It's crazy and sad and amazing. Kinda makes you look at the stuff you own and wonder what deductions the next generation of people would make about you just from digging through your things.

thistle_dancer
14-01-09, 11:32 PM
Jess, what's it called? It sounds really neat.

jessierose
15-01-09, 01:45 AM
The Lives They Left Behind. It's very good. I am secretly very nosy and curious about people so I love books which reveal journal entries, letters, private possessions. I guess that makes me a bit of a voyeur. Not in a reality tv sort of way (which isn't reality at all).

jessierose
15-01-09, 01:49 AM
You can read about it or buy it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Lives-They-Left-Behind-Suitcases/dp/1934137146/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231984085&sr=8-1

One of the books they recommend with it is "My Lobotomy" by Howard Dully (unfortunate last name, eh?). Don't read it. It is quite sad but also very boring and poorly written.

Drummer-64
15-01-09, 01:59 AM
In the Woods by Tana French.
Mystery/thriller situated in Ireland
D./

getawaytae
15-01-09, 11:59 AM
"The Cellist of Sarajevo" by Steven Galloway is set in the city during the break up of Yugoslavia. Given to me as a Christmas present, I read the first couple of pages thinking of the film "The Pianist", set in Warsaw in WWII, and trying to compare. I thought "this is not really for me". However being a bit lazy didn't change by bedtime choice straight away. I'm glad I didn't. A few pages more and I was hooked, intrigued and I cared about the characters and what was about to unfold.

Tubbs
30-01-09, 01:52 PM
Read 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas', by John Boyne, last night, in one sitting...

A very moving story, and not only due to the subject matter, but the manner in which the author captures the mind of a child.

The story is based around two boys, not only the same age, but who were actually born on the same day. However, one was born a German, the other a Polish Jew. And when the German boy's father moves to run one of the Death Camps in WWII, the two boys meet and strike up a strange kind of friendship, due to the wire fence that separates them.

Well worth reading, for a number of reasons, even if the ending comes as no surprise...

Sean
30-01-09, 01:54 PM
Read 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas', by John Boyne, last night, in one sitting...

A very moving story, and not only due to the subject matter, but the manner in which the author captures the mind of a child.

The story is based around two boys, not only the same age, but who were actually born on the same day. However, one was born a German, the other a Polish Jew. And when the German boy's father moves to run one of the Death Camps in WWII, the two boys meet and strike up a strange kind of friendship, due to the wire fence that separates them.

Well worth reading, for a number of reasons, even if the ending comes as no surprise...

It's being made into a film right now.

jessierose
30-01-09, 02:35 PM
I'm reading a book right now by a guy who was at Winter Storm AND has joined PBF! It's a novel (beautifully written, thus far, by the way) with (and here's the kicker) PIPERS in it!

The book is The Slow Air of Ewan MacPherson by Thomas Fox Averill. (I hope you don't mind me mentioning the book, Tom!) I'll give a full review when I have finished it. I wanna say that it's not in print now but y'all should watch for it used, on Amazon, etc.

Tubbs
30-01-09, 04:22 PM

Yes - It received a first-class review on Classic FM over here the other night

Vikki
30-01-09, 05:31 PM
breaking dawn by stephanie meyer. conclusion to the twilight saga i've mentioned before.

UpstatePiper
30-01-09, 05:45 PM
Dan Brown

Angels & Demons

The Da Vinci Code is the sequel to Angels and Demons. It's basically the same plot, just with different story details. They're making a movie, which ought to be worth watching just for the scenery -- all the action takes place in Rome and the Vatican.

Vikki
30-01-09, 05:56 PM
i've read it, good book,i enjoyed it. looking forward to seeing the film. they'd the trailer on before a film a few months ago, it looks good. definately on my "to see" list

jessierose
31-01-09, 03:53 AM
I just read that my favorite goalie (and one of my two favorite Oilers) likes the book The Way of the Peaceful Warrior. Anyone read it?

redneck
31-01-09, 02:42 PM
James Herbert, the Rats Trilogy, class stuff.
...............Double post automerged..............

Seen the movie, class show.........got a special copy :whistle::whistle::whistle::bg: