PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Reeds - A Review

SDowns
30-03-09, 12:57 AM
I received two Celtic reeds this week and just got around to giving them a blow this weekend.
I've put some time on them and felt comfortable enough to finally provide this 'report'.

I've been playing Williams Reeds in a medium strength and always had good experience with each reed I've tried.

Wehn I first pulled them out of the well-packed box, I noticed how thick the cane look at the lips. I compared it to the Williams reed I had in my McCallum chanter and yup, the tips of the new Celtic Reeds looked thicker. My first thought was that I was not going to be able to blow these reeds. Not letting that stop me, I moved forward with replacing my Williams Reed with a Celtic Reed.

Much to my delight, the reed sounded without effort and I was well on my way. After a short blow, I made one minor adjustment (sink the reed a tad).
The first thing that struck me was the solid, bright sound from bottom to top. The High-A is absolutely gorgeous and the McCallum chanter I use was crackin'. The chanter was vibrating more than I have ever felt it. Now I don't know if that is considered a good thing, but it felt neat.
I could not discern any lack of lustre on the top hand.

I believe that is the real beauty of what Steve has done here.

Those of you in bands who are looking for an edge this season should really take a look at these reeds.

Since I've been a bit spoiled lately with my reeds and just for a fair comparison, I pulled out some of my 'older' reeds. I have a Morton, Gilmour, and two unidentified reeds. I also have the Williams reeds. None of them give the same depth of fullness and brightness as these Celtic Reeds.

I believe Steve's got a definite winner here and I wish him much success as the word gets out.

Did I mention how gorgeous that Hi-A is?

Sean
30-03-09, 01:29 AM
Doe's it have a slight crow on the high A? I always like a little crow there....

joegoat
31-03-09, 02:29 AM
Doe's it have a slight crow on the high A? I always like a little crow there....

I didn't notice any "crow" in my Pipeline chanter. I tested some pretty soft reeds though. By "crow" do you mean a slightly wavering sound? The Celtic Reeds provide a rock solid tone from bottom to top on the scale.
- Joe

SDowns
31-03-09, 10:09 PM
None of my Celtic reeds crow. The High-A was very clear.

Steve
01-04-09, 12:20 AM
Hi Sean,

Yes, If you wanting a crow in the Hi A, then i would suggest that you try one the Broad Celtic Reeds.

Shawn got the standard reeds due to the strength he required.

Ballycoan pipe band ( G1 ) have always liked a crow in the Hi A and have just re-reeded the band all with Celtic broad reeds in their new ABW McCallum chanters.

Hope this helps,

joegoat
01-04-09, 12:36 AM
Hi Sean,

Yes, If you wanting a crow in the Hi A, then i would suggest that you try one the Broad Celtic Reeds.

Shawn got the standard reeds due to the strength he required.

Ballycoan pipe band ( G1 ) have always liked a crow in the Hi A and have just re-reeded the band all with Celtic broad reeds in their new ABW McCallum chanters.

Hope this helps,

Wow Steve you really keep all of your customers in mind. Keep it up!

P.S. Do you make a practice chanter reed? If you do what are they like?

Steve
01-04-09, 12:40 AM
Do you make a practice chanter reed? If you do what are they like?

Am working on that one Joey.. lmao

SDowns
01-04-09, 12:48 AM
Steve,
I figured your could accomodate the request!

:bc:

Steve
01-04-09, 01:03 AM
Steve,
I figured your could accomodate the request!

:bc:

Only if really pushed Shawn.. lmao

joegoat
01-04-09, 01:23 AM
I'm on my own practice chanter reed quest. So far I havn't gotten the amazing sound I'm looking for. Just a decent sounding quiet scale.
I'm trying to find a place to buy mylar plastic. I've been using plastic cups.
-Joe

Steve
01-04-09, 01:27 AM
I've been using plastic cups.
-Joe

No good Joey,

There is not enough flexibility in this plastic.. See your pm inbox..

phyx
19-05-09, 10:42 PM
Wehn I first pulled them out of the well-packed box, I noticed how thick the cane look at the lips. I compared it to the Williams reed I had in my McCallum chanter and yup, the tips of the new Celtic Reeds looked thicker. My first thought was that I was not going to be able to blow these reeds. Not letting that stop me, I moved forward with replacing my Williams Reed with a Celtic Reed.

I just got to put mine in my Gibson ABW chanter today. I, too, noticed the thickness of the tips and thought there'd be no way I could play them.

Much to my delight, the reed sounded without effort and I was well on my way. After a short blow, I made one minor adjustment (sink the reed a tad).

Same exact thing here...

The first thing that struck me was the solid, bright sound from bottom to top. The High-A is absolutely gorgeous and the McCallum chanter I use was crackin'. The chanter was vibrating more than I have ever felt it. Now I don't know if that is considered a good thing, but it felt neat.
I could not discern any lack of lustre on the top hand.

The high A in mine is incredibly crisp and balanced. It doesn't fade away like a lot of reeds tend to do. It's just as audible as the low A from my perspective.

Since I've been a bit spoiled lately with my reeds and just for a fair comparison, I pulled out some of my 'older' reeds. I have a Morton, Gilmour, and two unidentified reeds. I also have the Williams reeds. None of them give the same depth of fullness and brightness as these Celtic Reeds.

My Celtic reeds definitely have a more balanced scale than the others. I find having a top hand that's just as loud as the bottom hand to be a rare thing. My old Williams white wrapped reed is a bit louder over all than my Celtic, but it's a bit stronger as well, and the top hand is just a touch softer IMO (except F..which is very loud compared to the rest of the top hand).

Did I mention how gorgeous that Hi-A is?

That high A is amazing...

I'll try to post some .mp3's of the scale that his reeds produce, as well as others--Ross, Williams, and Elliot as they're all I've got. When I get it recorded, I'll post them here. I'll make sure that there is NO tape on the chanter for each of the reeds.

Mark J.
22-05-09, 07:22 AM
Steve,

Going by some reviews on here, and a few things I've heard the past couple of months; I'm thinking I might invest in these much praised celtic reeds for using in solos.
Two quick questions, but maybe someone else can answer in the meantime:

How do they perform in a wet system? The website says the reed won't tire after hours of playing, and I've heard the same mentioned, but will using a sheepskin bag with no moisture control have an effect on this?
And is it safe to say delivery to Scotland would only be a few days?

Cheers
Mark

phyx
22-05-09, 12:53 PM
I played mine at my last lesson for a total of about 45 minutes in a 1 hour period. It's in an L&M hide bag with no moisture control system, if that makes any difference. I tired out before the reed did...I don't play a sheep skin bag, but my hide bag is a close second.

Hope this helps. :beer:

Mark J.
22-05-09, 01:33 PM
I played mine at my last lesson for a total of about 45 minutes in a 1 hour period. It's in an L&M hide bag with no moisture control system, if that makes any difference. I tired out before the reed did...I don't play a sheep skin bag, but my hide bag is a close second.

Hope this helps. :beer:

Sure does - cheers min

Was there much variance in pitch or was it solid thru'out?

SDowns
22-05-09, 02:10 PM
How do they perform in a wet system? Cheers
Mark

Mark,
FWIW, I play a wet system. I use absolutely no water traps, canisters, nothing.
My bag is a Gannaway. After an hour practice session (play stop, play stop) my pipes were still locked.

Steve
22-05-09, 02:53 PM
Steve,

Going by some reviews on here, and a few things I've heard the past couple of months; I'm thinking I might invest in these much praised celtic reeds for using in solos.
Two quick questions, but maybe someone else can answer in the meantime:

How do they perform in a wet system? The website says the reed won't tire after hours of playing, and I've heard the same mentioned, but will using a sheepskin bag with no moisture control have an effect on this?
And is it safe to say delivery to Scotland would only be a few days?

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark..

Thanks for the questions..

It makes no difference if you are play a hide bag or if you are playing a Canmore with all the bits in it.. The reed stays the same all the time..

Ballycoan had a Saturday practice a few weeks back.. and they had a five hour practice.. the reeds were the same when they were finished as they were when the pipes first come out of their pipe boxes. They are playing a hide set up.

Other lower grade bands normally play the Canmore/Bannatyne set-up.. with water traps and the like.. but the results with the reeds are the same.. Same pitch from the pipes are taken from the box to when the pipes go back in the box..

one thing i would like to add.. When stopping for a break after playing for a time.. the reeds will fall back just that little bit quicker than other reeds.. but withing 30 seconds of playing.. they are back to their optimum pitch... and stay at that.. no matter how long your blow your pipes..

If you order through the website with credit card details.. your reeds will be sent to you the day after the order is place.. so roughly 48 hrs max from the time that you have ordered to the reeds being with you..

Thanks again for the enquiry.. and i hope that i have answered your questions to your satisfaction..

Mark J.
22-05-09, 04:06 PM
Thanks very much Steve - I'll get an order in for just before I'm due home

Esko
02-06-09, 06:25 PM
Hi everyone,

Just got these Celtic reeds from Steve and I am astonished.

These reed's are something, allmost plug and play, good sound and scale right at first try. And all the reed's ( 4) work like they should.

So far the best reed I have had in my pipes.

Thank You Steve, you have made my life a lot easier.

phyx
04-06-09, 04:43 PM
Sure does - cheers min

Was there much variance in pitch or was it solid thru'out?

Sorry I didn't see this before...after the initial warm up of about 7-10 mins...the reed is rock solid...I was quitting before the reed did.

Now....here's my mp3's of each type of reed I have, with no drones....just mouth blowing the chanter. The recordings were done with a sony ICD-UX70 digital recorder. The chanter was about 3 feet away from the recording, at my 8 o'clock position in relation to the chanter. I've made no alteration to the sound in any way (except I removed some silence at the beginning and end of each recording because it doesn't matter anyway), and the chanter has absolutely no tape. The reeds were taken fresh from their boxes and blown, no warm ups, no nothing, just plugged in and blown.

Here you go...

CelticCeith
05-06-09, 07:19 AM
Steve:

Can you make a few reeds with all the note errors removed?? The reed I have seems to periodically play wrong notes ... it would be of a great assistance if you could make me a few of these !!!!

redneck
05-06-09, 09:47 AM
Hmmm just a few?..........it's the shock of Rangers winning the SPL 'n Cup double, ya can't concentrate m8, that's why yer makin' mistakes......lol.

How's things m8?, the cougar was asking about ya the other night. Hmmmm don't know why though....lol

CelticCeith
05-06-09, 04:27 PM
How's things m8?, the cougar was asking about ya the other night. Hmmmm don't know why though....lol

It's the whole Fenian thing Iain .... we have a certain alure!! LOL Tell Lorrain I said HI and give'er a kiss fer me.

An aside ,,, would be interesting to play in a band with ya ,,, even if it was just a one time thingy.

Keith

Mark J.
06-06-09, 12:23 PM
Steve

Just ordered some reeds from you. How come it asked at the end what chanter I play with?

Looking forward to seeing if they're really as good as the reviews!!

Cheers
Mark

Steve
06-06-09, 02:35 PM
Hi Mark

its just so that i can pick your reeds for your make of chanter.. that way you wont get a reed that goes better in a War-mac.. when you have a McCallum..

Mark J.
06-06-09, 02:56 PM
Sweet!!

Custom made then :) ...almost!

Cheers Steve!!

jessierose
08-06-09, 01:30 AM
Just out of curiousity, has anyone played Celtic Reeds in a Strathmore chanter?