PDA

View Full Version : Old Hardie ABW chanter - worth??

SDowns
11-06-09, 06:12 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase an old Hardie ABW chanter.

Before I get stuck with something that doesn't "fit the bill", I wondered your thoughts on the monetary value as well as the quality of these old chanters?

I am trying to get an affordable chanter that will play down to Bb.

Thanks in advance!

joegoat
12-06-09, 03:15 AM
Can you give a discription of it? Pictures would be wonderful.
-Joe

Mark J.
12-06-09, 06:26 AM
Shawn

For all it's worth, I'd take your money and spend it somewhere near an ABW Naill chanter. An old Hardie chanter might fetch a fancy shilling or two, even more if you matched it with the pipe it came from, but for nowaday tone and balance, you can't get better than an ABW Naill.

Of course, that's only my opinion, but I'd call anyone a liar if they told me otherwise :)

redneck
12-06-09, 09:59 AM
Call me a liar then..............an ABW Sinclair mid 70's early 80's..........none better.
...............Double post automerged..............
Shawn,
Gotta agree wi pipermark though, waste a time goin' fer that type of chanter now m8, unless it's fer a keep sake.

Rather than go for the Hardie, buy the McCallum chanter to suit the pitch yer after.

phyx
12-06-09, 12:49 PM
Shawn...if you're looking for Bb...McCallum, Gibson, and I believe MacLellan all make Bb chanters that take modern reeds.

As for the Naill thing...hard to say...I've heard some damn fine McCallum, Gibson, Dunbar, and Kron chanters that would easily rival the Naill. It's not just the chanter, it's also the reeds in them and how they're played that make a nice sound, IMO.

SDowns
12-06-09, 03:54 PM
Thanks folks!