PDA

View Full Version : Premier goes into liquidation!

Robbie.Crow
21-08-09, 12:06 AM
Premier goes into Liquidation!

Premier Percussion Ltd. of Leicestershire, England, has declared that it has gone into liquidation, with a plan to create "a stronger mutual business." According to sources, the company has been renamed for now as "High House 456 Ltd.," presumably in reference to the holding company that has secured its assets.

"The restructuring involves the closure of the existing company," a Premier spokesperson said in a letter to creditors, which went on to state, "A new company has been set up to take over the business which will allow us to ship backorders and ensure that product supply for the future will be free-flowing . . . We appreciate that business has been impacted by recent financial constraints and look forward to building our business together for the future."

It is not known whether the organization will continue to manufacturer pipe band drums.

In May of this year long-time Premier employee and pipe band representative Jim Kilpatrick left the organization for employment with Pearl Percussion.

A source close to the organization alleged that Premier Percussion has more than 5-million in debts," which would be potentially wiped from the books in bankruptcy protection.

Premier is the manufacturer of the popular HTS-800 line of snare drums and Hosbilt series of bass and tenor instruments.

http://www.pipesdrums.com/ViewObject.aspx?sys-Portal=57&sys-Class=Article&sys-ID=17912

Daz Gregory
21-08-09, 12:16 AM
Reckon it's been on the cards for a while now....that's what a drop in standards can do....

Steve
21-08-09, 12:17 AM
I ordered 1 hts 700 side drum from them 18 months ago..

It arrived 2 days before the worlds.. this year.. lmao..

Great service eeehh..????

KP will take all their business anyway.. so Premier they are finished na matter what they do.. Too many chiefs.. not enough indians

They stood a chance if they had kept manufacurering in UK.. But to go to china and get drums made there.. is beyond excusable..

Daz Gregory
21-08-09, 12:23 AM
They stood a chance if they had kept manufacurering in UK.. But to go to china and get drums made there.. is beyond excusable..

Got that right Steve fella - error and schoolboy spring to mind...:jeeze:

Wolfie
21-08-09, 12:49 AM
They needed to keep up with the times. they have been about 15 years out of date.

Ash.Kinnard
21-08-09, 06:57 AM
that and the fact that pearls sound and look great

i have had 2 pearls over the years and they are so much better than my band issue 700

Ash.Kinnard
21-08-09, 12:18 PM
lol asking for trouble

myhairybass
21-08-09, 12:47 PM
I ordered 1 hts 700 side drum from them 18 months ago..

It arrived 2 days before the worlds.. this year.. lmao..

Great service eeehh..????

KP will take all their business anyway.. so Premier they are finished na matter what they do.. Too many chiefs.. not enough indians

where do the others make the drums then?

Mike Cole
21-08-09, 12:53 PM
With the drop in quality and service over the years; comes as no surprise at all. JK's departure was the big nail for the pipe band side of things. I am saddened that they took a great design from Hosbilt and came out of the gate with a cheapened version of a terrific product. Poor hoops, shoddy workmanship, slow production, and substandard heads come to mind. They gradually made improvements, after much hollering from the masses, but, it seemed clear that their primary focus was on the bottom line and not the quality of the product. One can only hope that a financial and leadership restructuring will put the company into serious competitive form.

drummer dave
21-08-09, 12:55 PM
It looks like pearls the future then drummers

Ash.Kinnard
21-08-09, 01:48 PM
yup unless andante bring out an amazing new design but thats unlikely i think they have had there day in the spot light already

Premier mite come back in a few years there is money to be made in pipe band drumming

drummer dave
21-08-09, 01:52 PM
Well andante still need to surprise me m8 cos were playing with andantes the now and weve had nuthing but bother with tere drums and snares so its looking very likely thhat there gna amaze drummers but a bet you if premier do come back theyl go straighht to the top agen

Ash.Kinnard
21-08-09, 02:01 PM
yer with the premier hts 1200! :P

andante sound nice when i have heard them in comp, i have only played one once and i was only 11ish so i dont really remember if it was good

SDowns
21-08-09, 02:21 PM
Wasn't Jim Kilpatrick with them during this "drop in standards".

Reckon it's been on the cards for a while now....that's what a drop in standards can do....

With the drop in quality and service over the years; comes as no surprise at all.

drummer dave
21-08-09, 02:30 PM
he was but then he became the indorser of pearl

Ash.Kinnard
21-08-09, 02:31 PM
yep lol he done it on purpose so his core won the prizes because they had the good drums whilst everyone else got theirs days before the worlds

now hes in pearl! =O :willynilly:

drummer dave
21-08-09, 02:32 PM
yes i agree they are nice sounding drums good for tuning they only need to be tuned once then thats them but the snares are forever comeing loose
...............Double post automerged..............
to be honest that is very low of jim
Plus i think that andante drums are very plain im slow but sure falling for the designs wich pearl have got they really are beautifull drums to look at

Scarlet O'Hair
21-08-09, 03:26 PM
I don't usually become involved in these types of discussions, but this one hits close to home. Sorry if I sound grouchy.

yep lol he done it on purpose so his core won the prizes because they had the good drums whilst everyone else got theirs days before the worlds

now hes in pearl! =O :willynilly:

Are you on a regular speaking basis with him? Is this what he told you? Or could this simply be your opinion? His corps was winning the prizes while he was with Premier, then when he simply played Premier and now that he is with Pearl and playing Pearl.....

to be honest that is very low of jim

Making a sound business decision that benefitted his corps in the meantime is low? Really. Should he have simply gone down with the proverbial Premier ship???

drummer dave
21-08-09, 03:40 PM
Wat i ment by tat is i thought jim prob would have prob stayed with premier because he was with them for a while and they helped him out with alot of things but what will hhappen with his sticks will pearl get printed on them or will it still be premier?

Pete Walen
21-08-09, 04:22 PM
Except it is all conjecture about Jim & Premier and why the relationship ended.

None of us were in the meetings where ideas were discussed. We have no idea if JK was "expressing concerns" (business-speak) months or longer before he stepped away. We have no idea over the discussions that happened regarding moving production away from "previous locations" and any concerns that were expressed by anyone.

My previous, and current, experience with signature and endorsing artists for products would indicate that suits may listen politely to the "artist" and then do as they d@mn well please. The artist then can shrug their shoulders, continue to have their picture taken, smiling, with the gear and get the paycheck OR they can "terminate the relationship." We don't know what happened before the relationship was terminated.

Which means, the rest of the discussion is simply, "what if" scenarios.

Personally, I find the situation lamentable. I would not be surprised if some other company aquire the "new" Premier, or at least the name, and roll out other products. See Ludwig for an example...

Daz Gregory
21-08-09, 04:35 PM
Spot on again Pete - beat me to it!

Guys don't judge Jim on this one. We are not in complete command of all the facts an, as such, should give the guy a break.

Jim was in the employ of Premier as a technical advisor and endorser of product - He did not have the say in where said products were made.....perhaps he saw it all coming...maybe there are other reasons but we, as his peers, shouldn't be forming kangaroo courts...

As for going to Pearl....so what?? The man still needs to get paid and feed his family. I defy anyone to not make the completely sound and no-brainer decision that he has made.

Sports players switch sides all the time and kiss their new club badges, wave the scarf, wear the shirt/jersey etc and .......difference is these guys are after making a lot of money very quickly as their careers are relatively short.

Jim, on the other hand, has been at this game for 4 decades....the drums you play now have been the result of hard work by the likes of him and others willing to put the time in to give you the beast that you beat...

I nicer, humbler man you couldn't wish to meet....I wish him all the best

Regards

Daz

myhairybass
21-08-09, 05:00 PM
he was but then he became the indorser of pearl

when did he move and why?

drummer dave
21-08-09, 06:33 PM
it was at the start of this season he became the endorser for pearl and i think it was because they where going into liquidation

Scarlet O'Hair
22-08-09, 02:45 AM
Spot on again Pete - beat me to it!

Guys don't judge Jim on this one. We are not in complete command of all the facts an, as such, should give the guy a break.

Jim was in the employ of Premier as a technical advisor and endorser of product - He did not have the say in where said products were made.....perhaps he saw it all coming...maybe there are other reasons but we, as his peers, shouldn't be forming kangaroo courts...

As for going to Pearl....so what?? The man still needs to get paid and feed his family. I defy anyone to not make the completely sound and no-brainer decision that he has made.

Sports players switch sides all the time and kiss their new club badges, wave the scarf, wear the shirt/jersey etc and .......difference is these guys are after making a lot of money very quickly as their careers are relatively short.

Jim, on the other hand, has been at this game for 4 decades....the drums you play now have been the result of hard work by the likes of him and others willing to put the time in to give you the beast that you beat...

I nicer, humbler man you couldn't wish to meet....I wish him all the best

Regards

Daz

Well put Daz. I just want to point out a wee section of your post as highlighted above. I'm not sure that it's an accurate assumption that KP went to Pearl just to keep getting paid and to feed his family...He would not make the switch uninformed and un-researched and unfounded. Would it not make more sense that he saw excellence and further potential in the product and felt that his endorsement was the best decision for all involved?

Just mho.

Daz Gregory
22-08-09, 02:59 AM
Well put Daz. I just want to point out a wee section of your post as highlighted above.

Scarlet

Absolutely true - The point I was trying to make was that he's a person the same as us all and an income is essential....going to Pearl would be the best offer..of many I'm sure....and let's not kid ourselves - he knows how good that drum range is...:wink:

Regards

Daz

Joanna Avashite
22-08-09, 03:48 AM
KP had to do what was right for KP and shotts drum core.

I admire the man more now as he has done it with another drum manufacturer.

I personally think that its the best thing that has happened to drumming in a long time. KP prolly the greatest drummer the world has ever seen done what is right for him and shotts. if premier is a sinking ship, why go down with the ship and watch everything that you have worked for go up in smoke, just because there are some arse-holes in premier thinks they know better than KP. Time for premier to have a long hard look at what they have done. They do'ne deserve any success in drumming after the way they have behaved. The bosses should hang their heads in shame and disgrace.

no-one knows better than KP. He has done it all. If he had been a director at the top of premier, one thing is for sure. premier would not be in the mess its in today.

its time for premier bosses to step aside and let someone take over the wheel who can drive.

Ash.Kinnard
22-08-09, 10:20 AM
yer i agree with they way premier has done this to themselves but i dont like the kp ass kissing lol

Premier need to stop thinking of ways to save money and profit and need to start thinking of the quality and evolution of the product

i think they will be back in a few years time.

Daz Gregory
22-08-09, 01:34 PM
but i dont like the kp ass kissing lol

Ass Kissing?

If you mean me Ash then I'm just showing a bit of respect for a man I greatly admire.....more drumming talent in his little pinkie than I could achieve in a lifetime....

Believe me - after 22 years in the Army I know an ass kisser when I see one..:wink:

Regards

Daz

Scarlet O'Hair
22-08-09, 02:00 PM
What exactly are you referring to when you say Ass Kissing Ash?

Ash.Kinnard
22-08-09, 02:33 PM
i was reffering to Joanna Avashite's post and i mean this

===================================

KP prolly the greatest drummer the world

arse-holes in premier thinks they know better than KP

no-one knows better than KP. He has done it all. If he had been a director at the top of premier, one thing is for sure. premier would not be in the mess its in today.

Scarlet O'Hair
22-08-09, 02:44 PM
LOL! *Scarlet lowers her hackles* Joanna is expressing a personal opinion, but really how far off the mark is that opinion?

As copied from the Todd Bar Allstars site...

Jim started playing drums at the age of 10. His progress was so rapid that within 2 years he was competing at the highest level in Grade 1 competition.
At the age of 15, he joined his present band, the House of Edgar Shotts & Dykehead Pipe Band. It was at the age of 15 that Jim won his first World Drum Corps and World Pipe Band Championships, the first of Jim's record 18 World Drum Corps Championships. Fourteen of these titles have been won as a leading drummer. This also includes winning the World Drum Corps Championship for an amazing record breaking 11 years in a row. Another record that Jim holds is that of being the only leading drummer ever to win the Grand Slam which is all 5 major drumming championships in the one season. This run coincided with him actually winning 13 major drumming championships in a row over 3 seasons.
Jim’s move into the solo drumming arena proved to be equally successful. He has smashed every record in the books by winning the World Solo Drumming Championships no less then 16 times.
Jim’s talent and reputation is such that he is continuously invited to teach in schools and colleges all over the world, as well as making countless appearances at drum clinics and percussion festivals around the world including The Royal School of Music (London & Glasgow) and The Percussion Arts Society Conventions in the USA. Jim currently teaches percussion students at the Royal School of Music in Glasgow and is also principal instructor for the BA Scottish Music (Percussion) course at the same school. Jim has received the “Life Time Achievement Award” for drumming from the British Chapter of the Percussion Arts Society in London.
In 2004, Jim was awarded the MBE for his services to music by Her Majesty The Queen in her birthday honours list - a significant milestone in any musician's career, but completely unique to Jim in the world of pipe band snare drumming.

aliashrm
24-08-09, 10:13 PM
jumped before he was pushed????

DrumFiend
25-08-09, 03:16 AM
With the drop in quality and service over the years; comes as no surprise at all. JK's departure was the big nail for the pipe band side of things. I am saddened that they took a great design from Hosbilt and came out of the gate with a cheapened version of a terrific product. Poor hoops, shoddy workmanship, slow production, and substandard heads come to mind. They gradually made improvements, after much hollering from the masses, but, it seemed clear that their primary focus was on the bottom line and not the quality of the product. One can only hope that a financial and leadership restructuring will put the company into serious competitive form.

whos andante made by?

Mike Cole
25-08-09, 03:52 AM
It really pisses me off how some people will make negative public statements about other peoples' character and dealings when they know f-all about the facts. I have known Jim for over twenty years. We've done a fair amount of business together. He's a stand-up guy...to make it brief. I believe that Jim is the kind of man who wouldn't air his business dealings in public...so how people can second-guess his affairs in such an ignorant and insulting manner, is beyond me. There are a few in every crowd, I suppose.

JK's achievements stand alone. He (Shotts) won drumming prizes because he manipulated product distribution? Ass-kissing? Hey Ash, you should tone it down notch because yours is showing.

It was "low" of Jim to leave Premier? That's a very bold statement there, Dunfermline....maybe I lost something in translation. Sorry, but you're coming across like a Bucky swilling Ned...try to show a bit of class. Losing the Scottish version of Ebonics might be a start.

http://www.twistedthistle.com/stfu.jpg

It's no secret that Premier has had a variety of consumer and quality related issues over the last decade....not Jim's department, SD. Whether or not any of that played a part in his departure, we can only guess. That's fair game for conjecture, in my opinion anyway. I, for one, am surprised that he hung in there with them for so long. But, once again, Jim is a loyal stand-up guy.

The Premier product speaks for itself.

Whatever Jim's business with Premier was; it remains his own.

Rant over...Peace-out.

Pete Walen
25-08-09, 04:52 AM
Ummm - what Mike said... I don't have the history some do with Jim and certainly can't claim any great close friendship. Part of my profession is to read people - to hear what they are saying without them saying it.

So -

I met Jim at the Alma games many years ago, on a frigid morning when I could hardly feel my sticks to play my set.

The band I was teaching had a cobbled-together drum corps that had f-all chances of playing competetively on the day. We had fake tattoos on our necks - Left side for Medley, Right side for Reel. He judged us on Saturday. Sunday morning was the solo - my last year playing Sunday morning. Ah well...

He called me up and looked and said - "Didn't that hurt? Oh - you silly bugger - its a fake one! Why?" - So, I explained that I had a back row of novices and landed on the fake "Celtic Tattoos" as the perfect "team building exercise" for guys who didn't have a chance.

So I played my set, he told me remembered my band (a piddly little g4 band at the time, first year out) - That got my attention. He said the drummers didn't need tattoos. That REALLY got my attention. He wished me luck and sent me on my way.

On the bottom of the sheet from my contest, he wrote "You know, a strathspey goes H-W-M-W, right? Then again your fingers are blue. That could be it."

That sheet was framed for a long time. Now its in my file cabinet.

The medal with a blue ribband is put away as well.

In more years than I can think of in drumming, that brief conversation told me more about the man than many a pompous eejit that I can remember far better.

I met him a couple of times after that, briefly - Good luck finding a better man.

:jeeze:

rpeitzsch
25-08-09, 05:37 AM
Yup, have to agree with the above, Jim is sheer class. I've been taught by him in band clinics and have run into him at many other times and he's exactly like others I've met who are truly at the top of their profession: humble, down-to-earth, incredibly nice, and helpfull to any trying to improve themselves. How anyone can insinuate that there was something untoward with his realtionship with Premier and Premier's inability to deliver a quality product is beyond me. He tried to improve their product given a long-standing belief in their product, which many of the rest of us have held, and stayed on far longer than any of the rest of us would have even after their decline was readily apparent. For that, he should be applauded.

Mike Cole
25-08-09, 01:26 PM
whos andante made by?
The Andante product line was the brainchild of Sam and Frank Hodgen. Sam passed away in February of this year.

A bit of Andante history. (http://www.andantedrums.co.uk/the_legacy.htm)

Cheers.

Stig
27-08-09, 04:44 PM
Sorry, but you're coming across like a Bucky swilling Ned...try to show a bit of class.

?????

Spitty
27-08-09, 07:11 PM
id still play a well tuned 700 over a pearl for solos any day

RIP Premier i love you

Scarlet O'Hair
28-08-09, 01:30 AM
It really pisses me off how some people will make negative public statements about other peoples' character and dealings when they know f-all about the facts. I have known Jim for over twenty years. We've done a fair amount of business together. He's a stand-up guy...to make it brief. I believe that Jim is the kind of man who wouldn't air his business dealings in public...so how people can second-guess his affairs in such an ignorant and insulting manner, is beyond me. There are a few in every crowd, I suppose.

JK's achievements stand alone. He (Shotts) won drumming prizes because he manipulated product distribution? Ass-kissing? Hey Ash, you should tone it down notch because yours is showing.

It was "low" of Jim to leave Premier? That's a very bold statement there, Dunfermline....maybe I lost something in translation. Sorry, but you're coming across like a Bucky swilling Ned...try to show a bit of class. Losing the Scottish version of Ebonics might be a start.

http://www.twistedthistle.com/stfu.jpg

It's no secret that Premier has had a variety of consumer and quality related issues over the last decade....not Jim's department, SD. Whether or not any of that played a part in his departure, we can only guess. That's fair game for conjecture, in my opinion anyway. I, for one, am surprised that he hung in there with them for so long. But, once again, Jim is a loyal stand-up guy.

The Premier product speaks for itself.

Whatever Jim's business with Premier was; it remains his own.

Rant over...Peace-out.

While this is not a "who loves KP" thread there are certainly those who are questioning his ethics and integrity.

Like Mike Cole, I have known Jim for a very long time. I met him in my amature years, as "Jim" not having any previous notion of what he was noted for, or what he had accomplished up until that time. He is tons of fun, VERY approachable to those who wish to meet him and have things adorned with his best wishes and initials. He is the most unassuming champion/celebrity I have ever come to meet. Everyone who knows him and knows me can attest to the fact that he is a person before anything else....as long as I've known him he's put others' wishes and needs ahead of his own and continues to back that theory up to those (like me) that would wish he'd take time for himself more often.

'nuff said.

This is why my hackles were up with some of the statements made earlier. He has been, is and will always be about pipe band drumming...solo, band, teaching, learning or otherwise.

I digress.

As Mike said earlier, rant over.

drummer dave
28-08-09, 10:29 AM
That is very true scarlet the man dusnt really take time for him self and it really is a shame but i suppose like you said he would rather help others than himselve and i guess that makes him the drummer he is today. i think we should all be supporting jim with his move to pearl because in a way it was the right decsision to make at the end of the day becaus i really cant see premier cumming back to be honest

myhairybass
28-08-09, 12:41 PM
our premiere drums finally turned up this week they are very nice actually we were especting to have to place a new order for pearl. the dealers says the premiere co is still going and the drums are now bein delivered that were waiting for

drummer dave
28-08-09, 12:50 PM
thats the thing about premier they take ages for there stuff to come out

Joanna Avashite
28-08-09, 05:38 PM
yer i agree with they way premier has done this to themselves but i dont like the kp ass kissing lol

Premier need to stop thinking of ways to save money and profit and need to start thinking of the quality and evolution of the product

i think they will be back in a few years time.

arse-kissing? you just dont be an arse.
Have another read of the posts after mine. everyone agrees with me and your the only one that seems to be saying anything different.

Show some respect. You will only ever dream of doing what KP has done. If you ever get close to what he has achieved i think that you will be cleaning the cornflakes from you face as you will have fell asleep at your breakfast table and be dreaming about what you have achieved.

drummer dave
28-08-09, 06:04 PM
arse-kissing? you just dont be an arse.
Have another read of the posts after mine. everyone agrees with me and your the only one that seems to be saying anything different.

Show some respect. You will only ever dream of doing what KP has done. If you ever get close to what he has achieved i think that you will be cleaning the cornflakes from you face as you will have fell asleep at your breakfast table and be dreaming about what you have achieved.

very true no 1 can ever doubt what jk as achieved everybody is a gd drummer or piper in there own right and by rights you cant take nothing away from jim

Scarlet O'Hair
29-08-09, 03:36 PM
Found this today....guess it no longer applies!?

Celtic Mitch, Bashful, Scarlet O'Hair, Sass Jane, Ann Gray.

Canadian Girls Drinking Team Premier Press Photo

drummer dave
30-08-09, 10:40 AM
Ok then i never knew premier had drinking contests lol
You see the thing is i have never in my puff heard of anybody critisize jk for his drumming no one in there right mind should ever have the right to say anything bad agenst him. Some people think there better than him well they people obviously dont have a clue what they are talking about. A drummer like jim deserves all the respect and gratitude for what he has done over the years he has basiclly transformed pipe band drumming for the best and the man gets my upmost respect, for that we really cant thank him enough for giving us all goals to aim for.

drummer dave
30-08-09, 01:53 PM
i would also like to point out that shotts gt best drumcore at cowal so what does that also say?

Scarlet O'Hair
30-08-09, 02:33 PM
Ok then i never knew premier had drinking contests lol

LOL! KP was gonna make that into a calendar....

Yes, it was awesome yesterday to hear the corps had taken first!

drummer dave
30-08-09, 02:50 PM
he should have likes it would have been well cool lol

ye it was smashing to see jims core getting what they deserved :beer: im really happy for them i just cant really believe what a certain sum1 sed about him awell thats the critics proved wrong once agen :rotf::rotf:

rpeitzsch
30-08-09, 04:28 PM

No, you just need to find another sponsor, like Pearl!

drummer dave
30-08-09, 04:35 PM
No, you just need to find another sponsor, like Pearl!

looks like were all going to have to move to pearl now by the looks of things

Celtic Mitch
30-08-09, 09:18 PM

Celtic Mitch, Bashful, Scarlet O'Hair, Sass Jane, Ann Gray.

Canadian Girls Drinking Team Premier Press Photo

They used that as a press photo? HA...no....

Scarlet O'Hair
30-08-09, 09:33 PM
LOL! That's just what WS called it.....black and white and all. I miss those days! That was before we spent a year in Kansas one weekend eh?

drummer dave
30-08-09, 10:10 PM
wish i done something like that lol

Scarlet O'Hair
30-08-09, 10:16 PM
What? Spend a year in Kansas one weekend? We had an ice storm and the flights weren't leaving-like ever.....we had to stay longer, drink more, it was awful.......:bg:

drummer dave
30-08-09, 11:30 PM
i wouldnt have complained lol

Scarlet O'Hair
31-08-09, 12:40 AM
We had a keg of Newcastle delivered to the teacher's lounge as well....:bg:

drummer dave
31-08-09, 11:08 AM
oooooooooo newcastle brown ale that stuff is stinckin lol