PDA

View Full Version : At the end...

Mark J.
10-09-09, 02:32 PM
Just wondered

...why is it that pipe bands have a clean cut right at the end of their reel (right on the last note)...

...but soloists hold the note then maybe throw in a wee flourish(sp?) too?

Scottish piper
10-09-09, 04:36 PM
I guess (purely guessing) it must be because it allows solo pipers to keep a rock steady pressure on the 'pipe until the end of the tune (when the judging stops). Again, I'm guessing the immediate stop with a band is because it is far more uniform and if there was a flourish, then the poor drummers would have nothing to do.

I think it's just for musical effect.

(P.S. When I looked at the title, I thought there was some spammer posting apocoliptic messages!)

piper_dancer
10-09-09, 10:56 PM
Soloists aren't marked on their cutoffs. Just the tone throughout the tune...so that would be why they don't cut off right at the end of the tune.
Bands get marked down if they mess up a cutoff....
best thing I can think of.

Mark J.
11-09-09, 09:23 AM
But then I can't help wonder why soloists aren't marked on their cutoffs, since bands are expected to hold a steady tone until they cut off?

redneck
11-09-09, 12:51 PM
I guess (purely guessing) it must be because it allows solo pipers to keep a rock steady pressure on the 'pipe until the end of the tune (when the judging stops).

This is a must for bands too, any variation in blowing will be detrimental to the overall tonal quality of the sound.

Steady blowing is a must in any piping.

Scottish piper
11-09-09, 04:36 PM
Yeah, when I thought about it later, that struck me. I guess it must just be for uniformality.

But then, I'm probably wrong again lol/